What does Proof Star mean on grading?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three Franklin half dollars and after the grade it has a star on it. I just wanted to ask what that star means is it like an error just like on the money currency when there's a star there as well? Thanks

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438025240.307305.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438025269.164831.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The Star (*) out beside the grade means that the coin has exceptional eye appeal within it's grade! This is a plus...plus for you if you got them at good prices and are looking to resell or looking for coins that will definitely increase in value over time as these are highly sought after designations on a graded coin.

Plus and Star Designation Guide for Coins | NGC

Frank

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
And on currency I believe the star means it is a re-used serial number. No "error".

HH ALL

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And on currency I believe the star means it is a re-used serial number. No "error".

HH ALL
On currency notes, the star means it's a replacement note for a note that was found defective by quality control during the printing process. The serial number is not a reissued one, it's a replacement one. Star notes have their own serial numbers.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are all so smart! Thank you for your information. I think I did all right I paid $500 for them. I wish she had a 54 as well but I guess I can't be too picky. These were the better of what she had. I guess she let somebody else look first and felt like he ripped her off but he spent $7000 at her house. And she is family as well... Wish she would've called that's for sure but can't change that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions