what does the size of a coil mean

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer my small one when its trashy. Coil that is. Better separation.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is it like that car thing u know the one

No, it's more like a "depth" thing. Larger coils create larger magnetic fields so you get more depth..

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I see it, it's one of two things

1- Like Terry mentioned to get deeper signals

2- It's a macho thing, or trying to keep up with the Joneses :tongue3:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really not about the size of the coil that matters, it's how you use it.

I can't believe I said that.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have NO clue what you are asking. Car thing?
Seems everybody else did, MM like the guys said above, big coils give greater depth, but at the cost of sensitvity, small coils filter trash better.

SS

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
FWIW - Q: Regarding the size of search coils, is bigger better?...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems everybody else did, MM like the guys said above, big coils give greater depth, but at the cost of sensitvity, small coils filter trash better.

SS

No, I would guess they were going off just the title, because the body of the message made zero sense.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean that guys who feel inadequate (short man syndrome) have to get a big truck? :icon_scratch:

I have the most success using a standard 8 inch coil.

.....and I drive a small car. Lol.

Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I would guess they were going off just the title, because the body of the message made zero sense.

I beg to differ I feel that this thread was one of the most elegantly composed compositions ever to grace tnet.

so there :tongue3:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigger coils do equal more depth . . . but less seperation and more chance of nulls and lower pinpointing/trash seperation. The detector has to interpret a LOT more data and determine good signals from bad. If you're looking for big and deep use a big coil. If you are looking for small and among junk use a small coil.

It's also hard to get a big coil through underbrush and grown weeds. Often a sniper coil is the only way to go.

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean that guys who feel inadequate (short man syndrome) have to get a big truck? :icon_scratch:

I have the most success using a standard 8 inch coil.

.....and I drive a small car. Lol.

Cheers,
Dave.

Short somewhere dude yes

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
The main advantage to a bigger coil is ground coverage not an increase in depth although they do offer a slight increase.

The below is from David Johnson who has been a detector design engineer for the past 30 plus years. He has designed the best-selling detectors for Fisher, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter, Whites, Troy and Tesoro so he knows more about it than virtually anyone alive.

‘Larger search coils allow covering more area with each sweep, and offer a slight increase in depth on medium and large size targets. Unfortunately they are heavier, more difficult to pinpoint with, tend to lose small targets, and provide poor target separation. Small search coils provide superior target separation (important in trashy areas) and ability to detect smaller targets (important in gold prospecting). Of course they don’t cover as much ground as a standard size coil. However (and this may surprise you) small search coils usually have nearly as much depth capability as standard size search coils.’

More about coils here;
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/searchcoils%20essay%20revised.htm

Hope this helps,

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread