what else do i need?

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i use this Minelab GPX 4000 battery harness.i just put the Excal hip mount on in place of the pouch.takes all the weight off.and hook my scoop with a SS dog snap to the 0 ring i put in the belt .i also have a mesh pouch to put goodies in on the front.

Attachments

• DD1.jpg
    DD1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 422
  • batt harness.jpg
    batt harness.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 379
  • DD2.jpg
    DD2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 398

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some old tennis shoes or scuba booties. Your feet will get worn out pushing on that scoop and sometimes you tend to dig or fan with your foot to get something to pop out.

If you have one, take a dive knife. You can free yourself from fishing line, etc., if you get tangled. It happens to me every now and then.

A good mesh treasure pouch for your finds.

Not sure how the sun is where you are but some good waterproof sunblock helps your neck.

Some folks where gloves but I don't.

We are all buying manually inflatable life vests since a fellow THunter in Michigan drowned a couple of weeks ago. There are several on the market. Good ones are going to cost 75 to 150 but your life is clearly worth that. The fellow that drowned did so in about 4 feet of water. Not know what happened yet but speculation was that he cramped. The final say so will possibly be known in a few weeks.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neck knife
CO2 inflation life vest

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pair of polarized sun glasses is a must, allows you to see in the water beter, and keeps you out of trouble. :wink:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much what everyone else said.

The harness is a cool idea because you can attach a lot of accessories to you that you might need.

Side note, be careful with hooking the scoop to you. Depending on your comfort and swimming ability in the water, you might want to use a dive belt with a quick release buckle if you are going to attach a lot of items to you. Also being that you are using a wet suit, you may have to use weights.

The wet suit should keep you close to the surface so the vest that inflates with a co2 cartridge is debateable, again depending on ones comfort and the conditions that one hunts in.

Definitely you will want to use dive boots, the one that has the zipper on the side is the easiest to use.

Do like the majority until you find what is the best way for you, drag your scoop with one hand. Depending on if you have waves, the scoop also gives you support, kind of a third leg.

The dive knife is a good idea because the monofilament in the water can cut you if you get tangled in it. Also the hooks that can be tangled up in there can really cause some pain.

The other important thing is know your ability with water.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Same goes for me... Maybe a "WaterProof" HeadLamp... if your an early or late hunter..

nice knife is always a must...

Titanium Wenoka squeeze knife....

SOG Seal Pup Elite will never give you a problem with anything or anyone..

why do you suggest a knife? to deal with aggressive people? I thought thats what the scoop was for.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cut an entanglement of your body so you dont drown

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where do i get a harness / belt? scuba shop?

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet setup buddy...........and thanks! :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you figure out everthing you need, double it and get two. I guarantee you will forget, leave or lose something and find you don't have it when you need it the most. I carry at least 2 of everything. Anyone who has hunted with me can vouch for that.

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
Hey bomber hookup with someone who can show ya the ropes and use his equipment to get a feel try before you buy. do you have a finds/trash pouch you better take your garbage to the can! I keep a clean lake ;D

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool belt, Nice set up ,...............Cotton :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread