What else would anyone suggest........

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
for searching Civil War sites?
I have a new Tesoro Silver uMax with an extra 12x10 coil on the way, I just got a new Garmin eTrax Legend, Thomas and Thomas': "The Handbook to Civil War Bullets and Cartridges", Dave Poche's: "Exploring Civil War Campsites" is in the mail and the buddy I search with ordered McKee and Mason's: "Civil War Projectiles II". I will be getting a set of electronic calipers and a set of gram scales for measuring and weighing bullets. I have several different types of maps of my area. I have all of the basic metal detecting diggers, bags and such.
I have $150.00 that I can spend on more reference materials or something that I haven't thought of that might be handy to have in the field. Can anyone suggest something that they use to help them while searching CW sites?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree wholeheartedly on the putting it in context idea. I got into relic hunting mostly because I just wanted to put hands on to some of the history I've been studying about for years. Taken out of context, most relics are just old junk. Its the story behind them that makes them priceless. I applaud the gentleman who posted above and said that he has gridded out his area and seems to be taking a very thorough approach to this. The more accurate records you put down and keep with the relics you find, the more value they will have to the future and understanding what the period they belonged to, was really like. The people I can do without are those that go into an area and start ripping it apart looking for the most valuable pieces and then proceed to sell them off without any supporting documentation, just to make a buck.

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I found something to spend the extra money on. After spending a couple of days with the Garmin eTrax Legend I saw that this was not the unit that I really needed nor wanted. The eTrax Legend would not aquire satellites very fast nor would it keep them locked in under any amount of tree cover. I also found that it would only store up to 500 waypoints. I shopped around and found that the Garmin eTrax Legend HXc was better suited for what I needed/wanted. It would aquire satellites in tree cover quickly and keep them locked in. It even picks up satellites in the house quickly and will keep them locked in. It can store 1000 waypoints and you can add storage to it. It came with Trip to Waypoint Manager which will be handy for keeping my information stored on my PC. The difference was $100.00 in store but I feel it was well worth the price to get something better suited for my needs and buy once and be done with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread