What Foreign Silver is Findable?

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I have found silver Canadian dimes, quarters, and one half. Also found a silver Rupee from colonia India in a roll of halves and a silver two shillings from England in a bag of halves. That is it for me.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Out of almost 600 silver dimes found I have only found 7 Canadian 80% silvers

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes are your best shot for finding foreign silver in rolls. But bags are going to be your best bet for finding foreign silver in other denominations, because many coin counters sort coin by thickness, not necessarily by diameter or weight (but it depends on the counter) and since most foreign coins are thicker than US coins, your best bet is in bags of nickels or halves, or possibly quarters. Easily findable are Canadian silver since the dimensions match up with US coins, Panama coins since they are -exactly- US coins (just with different designs). In some bags it would be quite possible to find some British silver, shillings in quarters, sixpence (and possibly threepence) in dimes, and Florins (2 shillings) in halves. Some of the Mexican coins might slip through too.

But if you want foreign, ask the tellers. It might not be silver, but a lot of tellers when they are running the coin counter in the back will take out tokens and foreign coins that they see and just drop it in a jar (or the trash!). While the vast majority of them are going to be the magnetic rejects, it doesn't hurt to look, and since most tellers view them as little more than trash, they will give it to them to you for free. Heck, you can get 1943 steel pennies for free in the foreign stuff tellers give you. Regardless, it never hurts to ask, you never know whats in there, if they are just junk Canadian dimes or a silver Peso that jammed the machine.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found an almost solid roll Of Canadian Quarters Just getting Quarters For Laundry and I don't CRH But I keep My eyes open for them!!! HH Chug The connivance store Next door Has a Guy Working there Who goes through Everything!!!! Except On wendsdays when the Coins are brought in That is the same Day I buy Rolls for Laundry!!! been lucky a few times Yes I always Check Just Habit!!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found a roll and a half total of silver canadian dimes since starting 3 years ago.
Average about 1 per $1,500 searched.

kimikiri

Jun 4, 2011
Central, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Garrett ACE 350, Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the silver Canadian dimes seem to be the most abundant for me as well. Since starting CRH in May I have found 4 so far and almost 200 silver rosies and 22 mercs. So yes they are pretty rare, but they are out there!

Just remember any pre 1967 Canadian dime is 80% silver

1967 are either 80% or 50% silver and there is really no way to tell them apart from what I understand and when selling them they are all considered 65% silver(crazy I know).

1968 are either 50% silver or 99% nickel and you can weigh them if you cannot tell by looking at the rim.

Also the other day I noticed that the Canadian dollar is worth more than a US dollar by .01, which means all Canadian dimes are keepers :tongue3:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
kimikiri said:
Yes the silver Canadian dimes seem to be the most abundant for me as well. Since starting CRH in May I have found 4 so far and almost 200 silver rosies and 22 mercs. So yes they are pretty rare, but they are out there!

Just remember any pre 1967 Canadian dime is 80% silver

1967 are either 80% or 50% silver and there is really no way to tell them apart from what I understand and when selling them they are all considered 65% silver(crazy I know).

1968 are either 50% silver or 99% nickel and you can weigh them if you cannot tell by looking at the rim.

Also the other day I noticed that the Canadian dollar is worth more than a US dollar by .01, which means all Canadian dimes are keepers :tongue3:

Well, all Canadian dimes should be kept because most sorters use magnets and will reject any non-silver Canadian because it is either nickel and magnetic, or nickel-plated steel and magnetic. Mix in the dimes with the rest of your pocket change, or put them in hand-rolled coin, but don't put them in the sorter unless you want to lose 10 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread