What happened to Fisher?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned a Fisher 1266X and now a CZ5 and enjoyed using them both. I know that Bounty Hunter has bought out Fisher and now there seems to be so much of a negative attitude towards Fisher detectors that I'm worried about ever purchasing one again. I've considered a 1236X detector since the 1266X are no longer being made. (The 1266 was a great machine). Fisher was once a leader but now I'm not so sure after hearing all of the negative feedback since being bought out. Is the quality still the same?

One more thing when I bought my CZ5 it had a lifetime warranty, now Fisher detectors only have a 3 year warranty. So, is my lifetime warranty void? Thanks.

R

robert roy

Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, and posibly some others were bought out by First Texas, a Holding Company. Whites, Tesoro,MineLab are probably the only BIG names left that have not been aquired by First Texas.

Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Garrett all operate out of the same building seperated I suppose by partitions.

Too bad really.

Regards
Robert R :D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure about Garrett being bought out. Fisher was sold to First Texas and all the lifetime warranties are void. The CZ5 is still a great detector, I have the 6a which isn't that much diferent. I own five Fishers and when they break down I'll deep six them. It's the customer service that has gone down hill and everyone is complaining about lack of service and prices for repairs. No more freebies or little adjustments. Now it's gimme, gimme.

By the way, the 1236 is a sweet baby.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Garrett has not been bought out by First Texas unless it just happened. i agree with Sandman about the customer service. i wont buy a fisher but thats me.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
..I think i will have to call Garrett next week and find out but i don't think that Chuck would sell out............i hope not......................==Jim==

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Garrett is not owned by First Texas, only Fisher, bounty hunter and Teknetics. Garrett is still it's own! ;)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Cynangyl said:
Garrett is not owned by First Texas, only Fisher, bounty hunter and Teknetics. Garrett is still it's own! ;)
Had me sweating there for a moment................................==Jim==

R

robert roy

I'm glad to hear that Garrett is still Garrett!!!!! Thank God for small favors!
Bounty Hunter is part of First Texas isn't it?

Regards
Robert R

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. . . now Fisher detectors only have a 3 year warranty. So, is my lifetime warranty void? Thanks

My 2007 F-75 manual says "Five Year Warranty"

People seem to be assuming customer service will collapse. What are these assumptions based on? Nobody likes change, but lets not fall into the Chicken Little syndrome. Has anyone here actally been turned away by Fisher in the last year who asked for service?

New York State defines a "lifetime warranty" as 15 years, by the way. Probably most states have similar definitions.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my 1266 bites the dust (bought in 1992 and has NEVER had to be repaired), I'm going with a Tesoro DeLeon or Tejon. For Tesoro, "Lifetime" means LIFETIME--not 15 years.

By the way, the 1266 is the BEST machine I have EVER used. One HECK of a Civil War Relic-Finder.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps Charles Garrett IS First Texas. After all, it wouldn't be the first time a company bought out it's competitors and placed them as subsideraries---for the purpose of phasing them out. I wouldn't put THAT maneuver past Garrett.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:
When my 1266 bites the dust (bought in 1992 and has NEVER had to be repaired), I'm going with a Tesoro DeLeon or Tejon. For Tesoro, "Lifetime" means LIFETIME--not 15 years.

By the way, the 1266 is the BEST machine I have EVER used. One HECK of a Civil War Relic-Finder.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Such hostility!

Why? Are you mad at Fisher? Have they offended or refused you service in some way? Did you have problems with a Fisher product lately? No one asked about Tesoro - a fine and upstanding company. I want to hear/read examples of Fisher problems. The topic is: "What happened to Fisher?"

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P. (NY) said:
BuckleBoy said:
When my 1266 bites the dust (bought in 1992 and has NEVER had to be repaired), I'm going with a Tesoro DeLeon or Tejon.  For Tesoro, "Lifetime" means LIFETIME--not 15 years. 

By the way, the 1266 is the BEST machine I have EVER used.  One HECK of a Civil War Relic-Finder.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Such hostility! 

Why?  Are you mad at Fisher?  Have they offended or refused you service in some way?  Did you have problems with a Fisher product lately?  No one asked about Tesoro - a fine and upstanding company.  I want to hear/read examples of Fisher problems.  The topic is: "What happened to Fisher?"

I didn't think I was hostile in any way to Fisher.  The response was made earlier in the thread that the "lifetime" warranties on Fishers were now void.  I am also aware that the labor charge for repairs to Fisher detectors is quite high--higher than other brands.  I am not happy about the decline in good customer service at the company.  I tried to order a lower pole assembly for my machine a while ago by calling the company, with no success.  I have since ordered one from a detector dealer.  Those are the facts--and they do influence what I think about Fisher as a corporation. 

Now, that said--I have ABSOLUTELY NO complaints about the machine itself.  Having been put through hell for 16 years on hunts with me and it still keeps working without repairs--I think that's exceptional.  And if you'll notice, I DID have flattering things to say about the 1266-X.  Let's get this straight:  I DON'T participate in brand wars or loyalties.  If YOU'RE a die-hard Fisher user, then I'm sorry if have offended you.  As long as I have my 1266, I will be as well--but after that...who knows. 

PLEASE NOTE that I have refrained from using the T-word in this reply!

Regards,

Buckleboy

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries. In fact, you've got a valid beef with the revocation of the warranty.

I have some loyalty to Fisher because I just sunk some $ into a F-75 and it is in my best interest if they hang around and sell more so I can get accessories and, God forbid, service if necessary.

What I have that does make me sensitive to this thread is recent and past experience in take-overs of companies I have worked for. Some for the better & some for the worst. Recently my company went through a take-over and, for the first time, I had to come up with the names of who was to go in my department. It's not pleasant. I sympathise with the folks at Fisher, and I assume a goodly number are the same folks who may have designed, developed, built, marketed and sold your 1266. Now is not when they need more bad feeling and less support from their customers.

Blame the guys buying competitors brands, especially foreign. Don't blame Fisher for being gobbled up or First Texas for seizing the opportunity. Maybe Fisher makes GREAT detectors but didn't have the forward looking finance and market development traction? Or they hand't been charging enough for their detectors in the past for the overhead it was costing them? Maybe this will be a good thing in the long run? A smartly run company keeps the customer AND the employees happy. Maybe not. But I hope for everyone's sake Fisher survives. I have no connection to Fisher other than I have an F-75 and happen to like it. I just hate to see some of the bashing that goes on (here and other forums) for no other reason than they are now owned by First Texas. Ford owns Jaguar and it seems they have come UP in quality since.

The last thing someone needs after surgery is a punch in the gut. Maybe they need some suggestions from the field like: "Hey, that lifetime warranty really attracted me to your brand but now I'm hesitant. Have you considered the long term impact?" Write a few letters or e-mails to them. I don't know of any marketing director that doesn't listen to feedback from past customers.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P, I have had problems with Fisher after the take over or sale by First Texas. I needed a battery door for my CZ20 and Fisher wouldn't sell me or send me one unless I shipped the whole thing back to them at my expense. Fisher's web site is still not up to date so that tells me it's customers aren't important enought. I own about six of their detectors an somewhere down the road they are going to need service if I use them. I wonder what kind of service I will receive. I am not connected to any manufacturer and can't help those of you that send me emails to get better service.

I am just greatly disappointed in the customer service the people at First Texas are providing for Fisher, a once fine company.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a problem with the discrimination on my CZ5 last year and dreaded the thought of putting my detector in the mail for service but I had to. Anyway, even though my detector was only 3 years old they said I had only a few months left on the warranty even though when it was purchased, the detector had a LIFETIME WARRANTY. They did repair the detector at no charge and it didnt take long to get it back. So customer service wasn't too bad at all. I think it was about a month from the time i sent them the detector to get it back.

Anyway, I always enjoyed Fisher detectors because of their toughness, depth and quality. However now there seems to be so much negativity with customer service and quality of machines that it does make me think twice about another Fisher. By the way, Buckleboy the 1266 was one heck of a machine like you said. Some of my finds were made with that machine. Wish I still had one.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
The old Fisher could easily provide a lifetime warranty because their detectors were built like a tank, and rarely needed service. My hunting partner uses one of the first 1265's and it still runs like new. And he uses it 3-4 times a week. A few years ago I sent in a 1266 for a tune up and had it back in two weeks, and Fisher replaced the coil cover for free. The new Fishers (F75, F4, and F2) are obviously not built like the old Fishers, and they've had many problems, as everyone knows. Only time will tell whether they support their products like the old Fisher did. I'll give them a little transition time to get the bugs worked out, and to determine if the only thing that's important is the bottom line or a good reputation. If it's just the bottom line, then the Fisher brand will be relegated to big box discounter junk, and that would be a shame. Sure, they'll make plenty of money, but only from the guy who says, "Honey, do you think little Billy would like one of these geiger counters for Christmas? They must be good, they're stacked to the ceiling, and the box says it detects car hoods to three feet. And it comes with a free plastic shovel and cellophane treasure bag."

R

robert roy

You know, I have to wonder if its Fisher as a company,(First Texas) or the people they have working in customer service that is the problem. Maybe the Heads of the company (Frist Texas) isn't aware that some of their customer service people are not the best or most desirable people to be working there? Also, the number of people working in that particular customer service department.....I don't think there are more than one or two. ???

Robert R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread