rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I dont know about where you live at but if it is close to being warm as in fresh or almost it usually goes home with somebody around here. I have seen last yr a woman with a big smile on her face using a shovel to scrap a goose off the road and just this morning 2 boys in a truck checking a deer that had just been hit. Im guessing they will be having deer tonight for dinner.
Now be truthful how many of you have done it before?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get the Chance I do.

funny-pictures-road-kill-cafe-dMp.jpeg

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done it. You can pick up any road kill deer here in Pa, only you have to report it to the game commission. There is no charge. Any other animal you have to pay for. $10 per point for antlers and a fee if you want the hide from an animal.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Since losing a leg i have slacked off but once upon a time...
A fun example of competition was an around minus 30 degree windchill wintry night spotting a form with snow on it along the highway, stopping and walking up to it to check salvagability to find its hind quarters salvaged already.
Have taken a couple out of city i worked in and one time brought a road hit deer home on the back of my motorcycle seat. It took all the bungie cords i had and holding its tail on the tighter turns.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never done it but have seen allot of deer hit in the mornings and then they are gone in the afternoon. I figure they have been taken home. Wouldnt the meat be bruised if hit by a car?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never have retrieved anything. I like my meat wrapped in plastic.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
[video]http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/deer-chinese-restaurant[/video]

road_kill_its_whats_for_dinner_bumper_sticker-rdb7a4d3487a04236941da2b217d80e0d_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on how badly the animal was hit, the meat can be horribly blood shot, and guts busted apart and really nasty to clean, and to me it's not worth the effort. Besides, it's illegal in Oregon to do anything with the dead animal, but I've removed them from in front of my house, and I've also salvaged the hide on a couple. Truthfully the meat wouldn't be worth the fine, but the state lets the thing lay beside the road and rot, just not in front of my house. Oregon has lots and lots of uninhabited woods that's a good spot for dead deer.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why waste meat, if it's fresh then pass the sauce :laughing7:

SS

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have to, "dinner" wanders into my yard from time to time, and the winner is...who ever runs faster. Usually not me.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most states clean up road kill and collect the animals to grind up and put in bark mulch and a few other things... No joke !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most states clean up road kill and collect the animals to grind up and put in bark mulch and a few other things... No joke !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

Thats interesting and I guess somebody gets paid to pick them up.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive never done it but have seen allot of deer hit in the mornings and then they are gone in the afternoon. I figure they have been taken home. Wouldnt the meat be bruised if hit by a car?
Amount of salvageable meat varies.
I have dealt with a head hit minimal damage to an entire half was one bruise on deer.
The old 80%water and hydraulics at work.A near safe bet of an average 1/4 minimal save. Or 10 lbs on a yearling,(born around last June) deer on the hardest hit once by auto.
Smaller, normally legally harvested in state fur bearers subject to season quality of hide and damage but usually if fresh worth saving.
A permit available to those who wait for police to arrive, and is proper legal method, few wait.
Have seen rendering service dragging up plywood ramp to truck too.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten myself into a position of providing deer to several that can no longer hunt. So I get a few every year that have been hit. If it is a hard hit, I usually just take the backstrip and a ham(s) if not too bad. Hate dressing them if busted up inside. Only a couple have I ever fooled with in the hot weather. I saw them hit, or care up right after and pulled the back strip and whatever I could to get it in the cooler ASAP. We took some back strip to a bonfire a year or two ago and cooked it as kabobs after a douse in a marinade. About as good as I have ever had. From roadkill to bonfire in about an hour.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread