What happens to the silver?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the sake of this discussion let's keep the topic just half dollars.

We're all heavy into plucking 40%-ers and 90%-ers from rolls and bankers' teller trays. I've always thought once they're in our grimy little hands, they've come to the end of their circulation days. From now on they'll be saved in rolls, plastic tubes or otherwise stored/put away. They will now meet one of two distinct fates: 1) they're kept indefinitely to be passed on to future generations, which will pretty much guarantee that they remain out of circulation for many years; or 2) they're brought to a coin dealer or otherwise sold for profit. In the second scenaro, one thing I've always wondered is what is the possibility that they may somehow end up back in circulation?

I've been working on the idea that there is a finite number of silver halves out there, and that all of us combined are causing that number to dwindle every time we find one. But I realized this is only possible if there aren't any more being introduced back into circulation, or at least the amount is less than the amounts we find. In other words, is there a big cycle occuring where silver halves are simultaneously entering (being spent) while at the same time exiting circulation (the ones we find)? And does this mean there will be an endless supply to be found?

Thinking of this stuff is how I spend a dull afternoon at work! But I'd like some thoughts.

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not doubt that just as many, if not more silver halves are being released back into circulation just as quickly as we are taking them out. Just because they are in our hands now doesn't mean someone in a couple years might not go grab at your jar of silver coins not even thinking and go spend them on some candy.

Little kids taking them from dad/grandpa and buying stuff with them... the elderly cashing them in at the bank to pay for utility bills, etc.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who knows if there is a finite number of halves, or any older key date. It seems that we are all still finding them here and there...
My brother back in the early eighties would search through rolled coins to find older key dates and silver. He stopped for awhile. He started back up when he saw how many I was taking in....he says that he is finding more now than back then. Like Brian said about older people cashing in....there are are still alot of older people out here and they are living longer than what they did 50 years ago....so they are still cashing in.....for us to find and pay only face value!!! :)

Happy Hunting!!!
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions