What Headphones are you wearing and would recommend!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detector Pro Black Widows when I need to blank out the outside world and hear only the detector output, and my Detector Pro Rattler (one ear-piece) when I need to keep one ear on the outside world. The Rattler is actually my favorite and most used for detecting.

The Black Widows kick arse at home listening to my old Pink Floyd albums, however. ;-)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too favor the Black Widow's while land hunting and the Grey Ghost Amphibians for in the water. Heck, if you can't hear the whispers ya don't know when to dig.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned a number of different headphones and for me, the Sun Ray Pro Gold are by far the most comfortable set I've used. The ear cups are large enough that they cover my entire ear. With other brands I have found that when part of the cup rests against my ear that my ear starts to hurt after a while. That doesn't happen with these.

The only drawback is that they do require a minor amount of maintenance. The ear cuffs are made of a soft leather. I found that after about 6 months of use the leather started to slightly crack. This was mainly my fault though. I had never wiped the sweat off of them after a day of hunting and the salt started to dry out the leather. I also made the mistake of leaving them in my trunk on a summer day when it was well over 100 degrees which caused a bit of cracking as well.

All I do now is wipe them down after each use with a damp towel. After every third use or so I also put a little leather conditioner on them. By doing this the cracks have virtually "healed". The good thing is if the muffs do get damaged or tear, they can be replaced for relatively cheap.

Aside from that issue, the headphones are well made, the wire is sturdy and I have never had any problems regarding their construction. By far my favorite set to use.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Like the Pink Floyd reference

OP
OP
RustyGold

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Anyone else have a favorite pair of headphones?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Gray Ghost originals. I don't have the issue you describe, they've been fine for me. I like the volume control as well. Haven't use any other brand, so I can't really compare it to anything else.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a pair from the library of congress they are comfortable and each ear has a volume control. you could probably get them off ebay

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Bushmasters because the fit well on my jug head and stay on well when relic hunting in wooded areas. Oh yea they sound great too!

OP
OP
RustyGold

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Bushmasters? That's one I haven't heard of Fletch!
I'll check them out!

I like the Bushmasters because the fit well on my jug head and stay on well when relic hunting in wooded areas. Oh yea they sound great too!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bushmasters? That's one I haven't heard of Fletch!
I'll check them out!

They're also made by DetectorPro as are the Gray Ghosts.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use back phones for the deus and killer bees for the at pro and compadre they sound real nice

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its really hard to recommend headphones because of the issue you mentioned - how they fit your head. I love my Grey Ghosts, but a friend of mine hates them and loves his Sunrays. Both are great headphones....I can reccomend them on the merits that they both sound great and come with a lifetime warranty. But each one will fit you differently.

My suggestion is to if possible try and find a shop where you can test the fit of each of them and then decide.... :)

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
same here, I like the Grey Ghost ultimate. very comfy, sound very good

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grey ghost Amphibians ............nice tight fit. Use them on land and water!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions