What I found today on my claim with the Gold Cube

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I just got my new gold cube 2 days ago, so I went down to my claim today and got about half bucket of cons screened down, came home and ran the cube...

Results below... Got my first small picker, has some quartz connected to it but 80% is gold... While I know my show might not be very good in the eyes of most of you, but I am super new to prospecting and have been digging blind and just started to work one crack along the north fork on my claim, this crack sits about 20 feet from the water line due to drout...

This took me about 3 hours total time, 30min hike down from my backyard and about 90 mins down digging in the crack and 1 hour hike back up with a half bucket of cons, don't think ill do that again, next time ill take the cube down instead...

Besides the picker, all the other small pcs I can get with my eyes closed, it seams this fine gold is all over my claim,

Thoughts anyone?

goldclaim.jpg goldclaim2.jpg gold11614.jpg

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great start and a nice little picker. Did you get to the bottom of the crack?

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have not got to the bottom yet it is like one boulder that split in half years ago I am sure and now the crack is about 5-6 inches wide, and has a tree growing in the middle of it, the tree trunk is about 6 inches wide as well , it is about 3 -4 feet tall boulder, when I first started working it last week I only sampled all the moss and got about 25 specs of color from just the moss, so then few days ago took about 8 inches down in the crack cleared out and ran that and got about 10 colors, now its down to about 18 inches, and pic above is what I got out if it..

the crack is getting hard to work as I am pulling out not as much sand now more so gravel and large stones, mixed with the sand... still have a few feet to go, the roots from the tree are all through it as well so it is tough, I just wanted to make sure I am going in the right direction, as I am new and don't want to be wasting time...

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done. Take advantage of the low water, concentrate on the lower areas now that may be underwater later. Also, if you have the means take a video now that you can recerence later as the water comes up, it may be a long time before it gets this low again.

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good idea Fowledup! Thanks

Have not got to the bottom yet it is like one boulder that split in half years ago I am sure and now the crack is about 5-6 inches wide, and has a tree growing in the middle of it, the tree trunk is about 6 inches wide as well , it is about 3 -4 feet tall boulder, when I first started working it last week I only sampled all the moss and got about 25 specs of color from just the moss, so then few days ago took about 8 inches down in the crack cleared out and ran that and got about 10 colors, now its down to about 18 inches, and pic above is what I got out if it..

the crack is getting hard to work as I am pulling out not as much sand now more so gravel and large stones, mixed with the sand... still have a few feet to go, the roots from the tree are all through it as well so it is tough, I just wanted to make sure I am going in the right direction, as I am new and don't want to be wasting time...

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Your going in the right direction. Now you know the crack has gold st the upper reaches keep going, that crack is gonna keep paying better as you get down in it. If you can put a bucket or some sort of catch basin, at the base of the crack, even a small tarp will work. Then flush or "hydraulic" the crack out with buckets of water. Or damn it up and use w hand dredge to work it. The secret to cracks is not to quit until your scraping nothing but rock, a lot of folks do all the hard work pulling 90% of the material out and quit, leaving the best paying last 10%.

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never thought about that, As there is an decent opening under it that I think I could fit a baking under it and pour water from the top... hmm have to try that out friday when I go back down there.. thanks man

Gold Cube

Feb 20, 2011
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Good plan with bringing the Cube to the party. It is much easier to haul the Cube in and out than hauling all that dirt. Then while you are there, you will be able to test full buckets per test spot to see the best gold locations. Hauling home you will have a pocket full of cons instead of buckets. I like using a 2 wheel dolly to haul in and out. Keep us up-dated on the crevicing. Welcome to the Cube Family.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
You might want to consider a "Crack Vac" as well. Get as much material out as you can with that THEN flush it. Not being able to see the crack first hand it's hard to really say the best way to work it. Start at the top and work your way down to the water line is usually the best way to go. If you can somehow get some pressure behind the water it will do a much better job of moving the materials.

A Crack Vac is a great tool to have on hand as it is a heck of a lot faster clearing out a crack like that using one of them than say a spoon! A painters multi-tool is also great for loosening materials in the crack to make them easier to vacuum up. They're only a couple of bucks at Lowes or Home Depot. There are a lot of tools that can be used for cracking that are not going to break the bank.

You've got a good start so far!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Would a hand dredge help to clear out the crack?

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think so, but I do not have one...

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
have not got around to it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread