tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up up early in Montrose Colorado yesterday and headed to Ouray to see a customer at before 7am, to which I did. When I was done there I started my drive home to the front range. Just as I left Ouray and passing the Cemetery heading towards Ridgeway a Lynx Cat galloped right in front of me across the road. I whipped into a pull off hit the start on the camera and watched it go. Hoping it would stop with a loud whistle and turn around and look at me, as that's what sometimes a bobcat will do, for a quick analysis on what you are and what's your intention, the Lynx did not do. That cat headed into deep snow and I've never seen an animal move that fast in those conditions. It was the size of a coyote, but I only can appreciate the brief moment I got to witness it and no picture proof. Bummer :-(

Attachments

• ap18011757489293.jpg
    ap18011757489293.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of Bobcats here in Fl. I would love to see a Lynx.
That's a first for me. I have seen 2 mountain lions also crossing the road in front of me. One in Wyoming stopped in the middle of the road and made the decision to go back to the way it came as I approached. The other was in New Mexico and it strolled slowly across the road like it didn't have a care what so ever of my approaching vehicle. Once they get away from the open they vanish, because I've stopped to see if I could maybe see or get a picture of them walking away or maybe up in a tree, but I hear nothing or see nothing. They simply just disappear. Maybe time to install a dash cam.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the years, I have glimpsed bobcats just a few times, crossing roads, 1 lynx crossing a logging road, and several cougar. Two of the cougars I was on foot, walking old logging roads, separate episodes, and one crossing a paved road. That's all we get from the wild cats. Fleeting glimpses.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a lynx a couple years ago coming off of Red Mountain in to the Silverton area it had a big old radio collar on it so I knew it was a lynx.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a lynx a couple years ago coming off of Red Mountain in to the Silverton area it had a big old radio collar on it so I knew it was a lynx.
I've spotted bobcats a few times, some in southern Colorado and they were more frequently seen in New Mexico. These Lynx have longer legs and bigger paws.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats Grant...seeing an actual Lynx in the wild is a rare site, indeed.

Lynx are high elevation cats, for the most part. In all the years I spent
trapping in the North and Middle Cascades, I've seen only one that I was
sure was an actual Lynx. It is an image still fresh in my mind 25 years
later.

Easy way to tell a Lynx from a Bobcat is the extended tufts on top of
the ears. A Lynx will have around 2" tips vs. less than an inch for
Bobcat. Also, the Lynx has larger paws and longer legs so they can
travel through deep snow easier. The one I saw left tracks in the snow
that were almost as large as a cougar's.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Grant...seeing an actual Lynx in the wild is a rare site, indeed.

Lynx are high elevation cats, for the most part. In all the years I spent
trapping in the North and Middle Cascades, I've seen only one that I was
sure was an actual Lynx. It is an image still fresh in my mind 25 years
later.

Easy way to tell a Lynx from a Bobcat is the extended tufts on top of
the ears. A Lynx will have around 2" tips vs. less than an inch for
Bobcat. Also, the Lynx has larger paws and longer legs so they can
travel through deep snow easier. The one I saw left tracks in the snow
that were almost as large as a cougar's.
Cougars have been reported and even videoed in this suburban area I live and I've also seen tracks in the snow about the size of a grapefruit along a stretch of a creek that's in a large open-space park near by. Heck I saw on the news a really young cougar was found sleeping in someone's window well in a development way east of me and that little cat had to travel through all kinds of human development to where it was found. How it got across the very busy I25 alive was somewhat amazing to me.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great photo! :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always awesome to see the big cats in the wild. I've never seen a lynx, but I still remember my first mountain lion! :occasion14:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always awesome to see the big cats in the wild. I've never seen a lynx, but I still remember my first mountain lion! :occasion14:
Cat are unique. I myself have never really been a domesticated cat person, but here this morning it's been a ritual to sign on with the smartphone to treaurenet and read what's going on with this cat on my lap. He was my youngest daughters cat she got as a kitten, then she moved to Texas maybe 4 years ago now. Poor cat was broken hearted, but better now because he's become my cat I guess. He always wants to be with me when I'm either watching TV, on my laptop or sitting here with my coffee in the morning looking at my smartphone. He's been a fixture around home now for 13 years I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_20191212_045826.jpg
    IMG_20191212_045826.jpg
    809.4 KB · Views: 44

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a lynx near Independence Pass once and couldn't get a pic to save my life, even though he waited on me to run back and catch up. Took off again before I could get the camera up. I've seen lots of bobcats in Oklahoma but for some reason never got any pics of them.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I expected you to say you saw a squatch

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a lynx near Independence Pass once and couldn't get a pic to save my life, even though he waited on me to run back and catch up. Took off again before I could get the camera up. I've seen lots of bobcats in Oklahoma but for some reason never got any pics of them.
I guess these Lynx really like being in the deeper snow regions. I've never seen any bobcats higher up. My neighbor in BV trapped them down around there. He had half a dozen of these nutty barking hound dogs. Once I was hiking up and around the granite bluffs and my blue heeler got his front paw in one of his traps. He was away from me looking for deer to chase and I herd him yelping like a car hit him and knew exactly what he got into, as I ran to rescue him. That guy baited his traps with the most raunchy smelling crap. I don't know what it was, but it would burn your nose with just a wiff of it. Only trapping I ever did, was for muskrats in Iowa.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread