What I thought was junk turns out to be an interesting find

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A horrible weekend of detecting with no old coins to show for about 5 hours of detecting. Was empting the clad out of my pouch for cleaning this afternoon when I came across a chunk of junk I dug yesterday while out with Park Pirate. Looked kind of interesting so I took it over to the sink for a cleaning. After rinsing with a tooth brush I noticed it was a little brass container. Grabbed a pair of pliers and gently took it apart. Inside was a small religious object and underneath, I could see some paper folded up. Gently removed the paper and the photo shows what it was. A neat find that I came close to throwing in the garbage !!!I've found several smaller Saints in little brass containers over the years but never dug one this big with prayers inside.

Attachments

• saint1a.jpg
    saint1a.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 145
  • saint3.jpg
    saint3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
  • saint2a.jpg
    saint2a.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 26
Wow... That paper is in remarkable shape. Cant imagine it being very old...???? Very interesting!!

Awesome find for sure Ed I'm glad you posted it, that paper prayer is in such outstanding condition, WTG my friend...

That is a really neat find! The condition of the prayer, you should restore the case for display - part of your forever treasure trove.

Thats really cool

Very nice surprise find my friend- I love finding religious items of any kind.

-- Jeff --

Very interesting artifact Ed. Glad you noticed it as you were cleaning out your pouch. Congrats!

Very nice... I'll be double checking my junk from this day on.

Thanks for sharing!

You'll never see another. Maybe something a nun would have? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back