What i would give to MD this place in my town all i can do is ask !

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today i drove a few blocks from my house without my MD just my camera i thought i would share some of the historic sites out here on the old Northfork i took a few pics of the Preservation site where in the early 1600,s the native Indians here meet the Dutch settlers for the first time and to protect them self's the Indians are the ones who built a log Fort on what now is a National Preserve there is a interesting story how it was discovered in 1989 the story is in the link ,many years later the English came over here in 1640,s and traded with the Indians and Dutch ,it a beautiful place to walk the trails its a all day hike i just went in a few miles .In the 1700,s the French were here and the Rev. War started the Dutch went to the British side and the Corchaug Indians went there way just scattered, i included a link and some photos enjoy some history you can see a French Victorian home that is slowly being restored :icon_sunny: Jim Dd60
P.S. iam going to crawl and beg on my hands and knees to MD that area :laughing7: oh i wish .
http://southoldtown.northfork.net/Fort Corchaug History.htm

Attachments

• 1600,s Dutch field.jpg
    1600,s Dutch field.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 423
  • Fort Corchaug Indian Fort.jpg
    Fort Corchaug Indian Fort.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 434
  • Restored Dutch guard post.jpg
    Restored Dutch guard post.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 426
  • 1742 Victorian Home.jpg
    1742 Victorian Home.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 427
  • 1600,s Dutch field.jpg
    1600,s Dutch field.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 423
OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Oh yes. I'll bet there are some great relics there Jim
Iam sure there is Mike the only sign that is visible at the Preserve says No Hunting is MD,ing hunting ?

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting very intresting.

Fossis.............

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
4-H said:
Oh yes. I'll bet there are some great relics there Jim
Iam sure there is Mike the only sign that is visible at the Preserve says No Hunting is MD,ing hunting ?
Yeah, that's tough Jim. I got on a few sites that were marked as well....Like you said, what is the worst they can say? No?
Tell them they are welcome to join along to see the relics go to the museum.
Good luck buddy.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2:

It would be a No No in the UK, a SSI site, do you know if the land has ever been turned by the plough?

SS

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
:coffee2:

It would be a No No in the UK, a SSI site, do you know if the land has ever been turned by the plough?

SS
its not been plowed in recent history which i think might be a good thing because of no use of chemicals most likely pure organic farming back then ,here a photo of what it looks like now and back then also .

Attachments

• DownsCreek3.jpg
    DownsCreek3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 354

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
In Va , unless they've changed it in the past few years, Mding is considered the same as hunting. You might want to check the laws in the area you live in.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Deepdiger60 said:
Today i drove a few blocks from my house without my MD just my camera i thought i would share some of the historic sites out here on the old Northfork i took a few pics of the Preservation site where in the early 1600,s the native Indians here meet the Dutch settlers for the first time and to protect them self's the Indians are the ones who built a log Fort on what now is a National Preserve there is a interesting story how it was discovered in 1989 the story is in the link ,many years later the English came over here in 1640,s and traded with the Indians and Dutch ,it a beautiful place to walk the trails its a all day hike i just went in a few miles .In the 1700,s the French were here and the Rev. War started the Dutch went to the British side and the Corchaug Indians went there way just scattered, i included a link and some photos enjoy some history you can see a French Victorian home that is slowly being restored :icon_sunny: Jim Dd60
P.S. iam going to crawl and beg on my hands and knees to MD that area :laughing7: oh i wish .
The building in the second photo Iv'e drivin by so many times I lost count. I miss that area.

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HCW said:
Deepdiger60 said:
The building in the second photo Iv'e drivin by so many times I lost count. I miss that area.
Where were you located out here ? that building is almost in Riverhead not far from my place in Southold

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
My dad built a summer home on Cox Neck Rd. in Mattituck back in the mid to late sixties which he retired to in the late seventies and unfortunately sold in the nineties. I lived there year round 77' - 84' then bounced back and forth from the north and south fork. But my favorite place Iv'e ever lived was in a rental on a lagoon in Cutchogue on Peconic Bay. A one bedroom studio (converted garage) during summer season. I think it was $185.00 a month
Actually , that guard house is in Aquebogue down the road from the Snack Bar isn't it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread