What if...?

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always wondered about this question: What would you do if there were no half dollars to search? (no box orders, very low mintages, only pre 1964 would have been silver)

Taking in account that I'm in Canada and here no bank would order any halves at all. They have really low mintages and most of the silver ones were hoarded in 60s and then sold as bullion/ to dealer/ still sitting in drawers. I only got 3 silver halves for spot and most of my silver is coming from dimes.

I see that halves searching are the "bread and butter" of every coin roll hunter. Now lets pretend that halves were in the same situation as Canadian halves. What would you do?

Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactly what you're doing, searching dimes! I bet even buying in the US and bringing across the border in large hauls is off limits since you might get taxed

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When halves go out of circulation, IE the banks wont order them, I am done. Dimes, man I have done 10-12 boxes and have 9 silvers to show for it, but looking at those tiny little things is bad for my vision lol. Plus, at less than one keeper/box it would not be worth my time. Halves or bust for me.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I would probably go back to faith-healing gynecology. It is strictly a "hands off" practice. I wave my hands over the infected area and yell "HEAL"
works every time. If Ag continues to dip, I will continue to buy ASE's and hide them away. Jim

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I second namster. Game over should anything happen to halves. I've found two silver dimes in 10-12 boxes opposed to your nine so you got a little edge on me haha!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be really depressed if I couldn't get halves. But since I am addicted to this stupid hobby, I guess I would do dimes and buy a Ryedale & start hoarding (more) copper. With Canada's recent move toward eliminating their cent, I think the US will soon follow. I am already upping my copper searching.

Halves are where it's at tho.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I would have to quit. My half boxes don't produce well to begin with, and the other denominations are even worse. Lifetime I've skunked on 37 of 42 dimes boxes. 30+ nickel boxes has produced about 15 war nicks with not one buff or V, and my typical box of cents runs about 11% copper with 2-3 wheats.

I might grab a box of some coin occasionally in the same manner that I occasionally buy a lottery ticket. Without halves it certainly wouldn't be a weekly activity.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wouldn't make a darn bit of difference to me! I rarely search halves anyway so I would just keep on doing what I'm doing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions