what is a death trap?

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Meaning I know it will kill a person if it is set off.Has anyone ever seen a death trap with their real eyballs?Why would someone make a death trap?Are they at the end of a trail and this is where the goods are hidden?I have really enjoyed the info you guys share with everyone on here..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.!Anyone have any real pics of a real death trap??

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog has posted a few pics of different DTs. Check out his posts. He and his partner enjoy figuring out the mechanics of how they work.

I believe that the DTs found will still be "cocked" because any that have been disarmed or tripped, will look like other rubble and stone pileups. And apparently, they were constructed toward the end of the trail, but not necessarily at the END of it.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcomed, Mr. J.
The last photo OD posted about a specific DT he wrote that he had spent a lot of time trying to figure out how it would work (without actually tripping it.). He finally got it figured and said that the "killer" stone would make an unusual pivoting movement and THAT is why it took him so long to figure it out. The whole thing was not very large, but it would have been effective. The DTs come in several sizes; some very large ones down to the fairly small as the one OD was investigating. If you come across a red hand, lightning bolt, or skull; start being very cautious. Those are just SOME of the symbols of DTs being in the area.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a sort of death trap about a week ago out in the woods just north of town,it seems I came across a mobile meth lab that had about a dozen trip wires with shotgun shells ready to go off if they were trip ed.A friend and I were out on his land looking for BBQ wood,when we came across some trip wires about 4-5 inches off the ground,one of his dogs scared a rabbit and the next minute we herd a shot go off,he thought it was someone hunting on his property so we went too look(not a good idea) to our luck nothing,nobody just a big pot to cook up the drugs in and lots of empty milk jugs,some paper with directions on it and rubber gloves.When we started looking around we realized that we were in the middle of all the trip wires and had to carry the dogs out of the area.When we got back to a road we called the law and they came out and said it had been at least a month or two since that fire had been lit.They were gonna put in some cameras in the area and see what happens from there. :icon_scratch:

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Produce Guy,
I have heard of "modern" trip wires like this. Usually around these things or pot fields. Another nasty one is they will set up a trip wire of thicker wire or string at knee/anckle height. The idea is that it is visable. While you are looking at that one and go to step over it you dont see the thin line at head/eye level that has fish hooks hanging from it. Good idea on getting the fuzz involved.

On topic, I haven't heard of the Spanish using these designs though..... ;D

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. J:
The pictured DT in Old Dog's link above is the one I was referring to in my post. Read those posts in the link plus others there and the info will fit in with what you're wanting to learn.

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr J
Why would someone make a death trap? you asked

Well the ones who buried the Kings Fifth were obligated to make sure
no one else but the Kings men was to find these caches, they were
under what was called the "Pain of Spain" which meant to death to the ones
who where burying the 20% tax... if it was found by someone who was
unauthorized....so rather the interloper than the principle.
And yes especially the original gold mine, sometimes the caches were
hidden so well they didnt need it..AND the Kings men, if they should
be killed by a DT then heads would roll at the next corporate meeting.. :whip2:
hth
rangler

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread