Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wore out my first orange pin pointer, ... wore a hole in it. I used epoxy to fix it. Once I got my PulseDive, I was amazed with the performance. I've only used it on land. I'm going to get that circular attachment and take it snorkeling, there are two different attachment diameters now.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question was "What is a good pin pointer". I have a critical look at these devices and those devices like the Garrett are area pointers due to the fact they detect way up the side and other pin pointers like the no longer available Whites are tip only which makes the term "pinpointer" mean something. Choose one that is tip only detecting and go out and enjoy the hobby.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Choose one that is tip only detecting and go out and enjoy the hobby.

The advantage of the carrot detecting the target up the side as well is you can roll it in a pile of dirt to locate a tiny object. A lot better than poking around with the tip. Ever watch metal detecting videos on YouTube? I see some guys waste a minute or two poking around with the tip trying to find a small flat button. So annoying and time that would be better spent looking for the next target.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The advantage of the carrot detecting the target up the side as well is you can roll it in a pile of dirt to locate a tiny object. A lot better than poking around with the tip. Ever watch metal detecting videos on YouTube? I see some guys waste a minute or two poking around with the tip trying to find a small flat button. So annoying and time that would be better spent looking for the next target.
Yes, and the 360 degree sensitivity allows the hunter to quickly find something in the sidewall. Technique is circle the hole opening, pointer held vertically, and progress downward until you get your signal. Stop and begin searching that level. Might have to split the difference on where to dig in that direction and angle.... By then you are close enough to recover your find.......
Besides, some pointers can dumb-down the sensitivity enough to be tip-only finder...!
Happy hunting!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and the 360 degree sensitivity allows the hunter to quickly find something in the sidewall. Technique is circle the hole opening, pointer held vertically, and progress downward until you get your signal. Stop and begin searching that level. Might have to split the difference on where to dig in that direction and angle.... By then you are close enough to recover your find.......
Besides, some pointers can dumb-down the sensitivity enough to be tip-only finder...!
Happy hunting!
A lot of people STAB there pinpointer in the ground all over trying to find the target. If you lay the orange cARROT on its side and sweep over the area you will start to get a beeping,. When you hear a solid beep drag the pinpointer back to you and when iit stops beeping the target shoiuld be 1 inch from the tip. Practice this idea it is WELL WORTH Learning ALSO you WILL NOT WEAR out the PINPOINTER TIP

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the tip only sensitivity (like the TRX) 3-4 inches the pinpointing process is fast and direct. The broad up the sides type of detecting lacks the direct find and requires a bit more searching the (area) to make the find. Many times I detect a find and use the whites on the soil surface to exactly pinpoint within an inch where the find is exactly. I have also done this process with my carrots (2) but the lack of sensitivity leaves me with the thought that I wish I had the TRX in my hand instead of the carrot.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Garrett pin pointer (its Black) on one detector, and the Garrett Carrot on the other detector. I like them both.

Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett Ace 400 and want a good pin pointer.
I use a Dr. Otec and have no problems with it. I just bought the Nokta Pulsedive to go snorkeling on a cruise, but I was not feeling great the day we went snorkeling and spent half the trip out of the water. I have not used it on land.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three pinpointers.. The XP MI-6, the pulse dive, and an old Minelab.. all have been good.... but if I were to pick only one, I would go for the XP .. either the MI-6 or the MI-4.... both tough as nails and will not let you down.

Micheal

OP
OP
ironman123

ironman123

Sep 1, 2016
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400 w/DD Coil.
Nokta Makro Legend Pro Pak w/11" and 6" Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I hunted in my backyard. Used the ACE 400 to get locations then dug a few dozen holes and gave the carrot a workout (and my 78year old back). Got 13 rusty nails, 6 rusty bottle caps, a dome shaped fence post cap, rusty coffee can rim, 7 pieces of rusty metal and a 1931 penny. Maybe another day and another place.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question was "What is a good pin pointer". I have a critical look at these devices and those devices like the Garrett are area pointers due to the fact they detect way up the side and other pin pointers like the no longer available Whites are tip only which makes the term "pinpointer" mean something. Choose one that is tip only detecting and go out and enjoy the hobby.
Good advice, but note the Nokta Pointer can be dumbed-down to where just the tip is sensitive, and almost touching the object, and when at full sensitivity, the whole coil is sensitive and makes scanning the waste dirt of a hole, or just locating nearby objects that are hidden in the sod of grass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions