What is a good price to buy a worn Morgan/Peace?

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't pay more than like 15 for one, I'd try to go lower if possible.. always start low

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought seven for $13 ea., I probably could have offered $10. They were not worn. I would have paid $15 ea.
The problem is finding them. I see them in decent shape at shows lately for $17. I have also seen small lots on Ebay average at 16-17 ea., plus shipping.
Good luck ffd

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
If it's "not that worn, but not great" as you say....don't buy it. Go to a coin show. They have beautiful ones for sale very reasonable. Not a sermon, just a thought.
rileyboy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
most coin dealers offer 10 to 12 bucks for one :icon_thumright:

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Where are you guys getting these prices? Cheapest ive seen recently is 17, most have been more.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I just put up a post on Craigs list advetrtising for silver. It stayed up for about 6 minutes and then was takend own as "flagged". I put it in ther wanted section, and even put that it was just for me, to collect, not to resale. But there are so many of those fly by night people now that they took it down. Anyway, I got ONE person responded to me before it went down. She had $1.50 to sell, and I offered 10X face for anything anyone had. Turns out it was 2 quarters and one 1922 Peace Dollar. So I got a Peace for $10. :-)

I'd like some more, but prices seem to be a little high right now. maybe they will drop one more time. PLus i keep picking up new silver at face value anyway, from boxes and tellers. Got a few more silver dimes this week, and 3 40% halves (out of the second ten boxes I serached this month. Now it is 3 silvers in 20 boxes. I'll stop searching soon on halves, but have another 20 to go through. I ordered 40 - staggered. So it will take me another 2 weeks to get them all. Then probably back to pennies for a while.)

Anyway, got a peace for $10. Sorry for rambling ...

tuckerD

Aug 31, 2009
I was able to score 4 peace rolls in December for $13.5-14 a coin. Just start bookmarking any site referenced on this forum, building a stack of knowledge if you will, that will get you the leads to finding less expensive deals. There's tons of websites/forums dedicated to metals/coins/commodities. Along with them come plenty Buy/Sell/Trade threads. It's all about gettin edgumucated and having patience.

wird

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that typically, you might find a deal watching the classifieds. Usually not. Prices are high right now and most people know what they have. I have scored silver dollars at $13 ea a couple times this year, this was only thru word of mouth. When I buy silver at 10 times face, it's cheaper for me than crhing. Believe it or not! ffd

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I know I'm late to the thread, but in my experience, you can find Peace dollars way cheaper than Morgans (circulated and uncirculated). Same amount of silver and in most cases lower mintages. $12-14 for uncirculated Peace dollars.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
greg23 said:
I usually pay $12.00 per dollar.More if they are worth it .CC mint marks for ex.

Yes but as stated from a previous reply, where can you find Morgans for $12 even if they are heavily worn? I would pay that as well but where can you buy for that low?

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrDetector said:
greg23 said:
I usually pay $12.00 per dollar.More if they are worth it .CC mint marks for ex.

Yes but as stated from a previous reply, where can you find Morgans for $12 even if they are heavily worn? I would pay that as well but where can you buy for that low?
craigslist

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Goes4ever said:
DrDetector said:
greg23 said:

craigslist
Been watching Craigslist for over a year. Nothing here but over-inflated junk. Like the guy selling Eisenhower "silver" dollars for $5 ea.....had to edumacate him.....and the guy thinking his silver coins were worth 17 X face, because "silver is at $17.50 an oz"....oh my head hurts.....guess I'm too close to Detroit. ffd

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fistfulladirt said:
Goes4ever said:
DrDetector said:
greg23 said:

craigslist
Been watching Craigslist for over a year. Nothing here but over-inflated junk. Like the guy selling Eisenhower "silver" dollars for $5 ea.....had to edumacate him.....and the guy thinking his silver coins were worth 17 X face, because "silver is at $17.50 an oz"....oh my head hurts.....guess I'm too close to Detroit. ffd

I check my local Craigslist postings looking for bargains, and all I ever see is people selling WAY overpriced coins. I could pick up junk silver cheaper at my local coin shop than what some of the people are selling for on there. I guess they are looking for suckers??

Jim

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
jim4silver said:
Fistfulladirt said:
Goes4ever said:
DrDetector said:
greg23 said:

craigslist

I check my local Craigslist postings looking for bargains, and all I ever see is people selling WAY overpriced coins. I could pick up junk silver cheaper at my local coin shop than what some of the people are selling for on there. I guess they are looking for suckers??

Jim

Yep I have never seen any Morgans or Peaces for that matter being sold on Craigslist for anywhere near the $12 range. Post a link and I'll be a believer.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My local dealer sells silver dollars like these for $15, stopped in and picked up these today.

Attachments

• IMG_0698 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_0698 [640x480].JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 223

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions