🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is a good rock polisher for a beginner?

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought mine from Harbor Freight....

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’m thinking about getting a polisher to tumble some of the rocks we find in the creek. I think my granddaughters would enjoy it and increase their interest in rock hunting. I don’t want to get a junk toy-type tumbler, but don’t want a high dollar unit either.Any recommendations appreciated

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought from harbor freight also. They are good but I use mine for dirty coins I find. My first one seized up but it was my fault as I didn't oil it and put it away wet in the plastic tub I keep it in with all the tumbling media and cleaning stuff I use. Now I leave it out overnight and oil it with light oil. 3 in 1 oil.

Upvote 1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you happy with it? I saw they have them.
Yes, I got the one with 2 tumbler containers, I can tumble my cruddy clad coins in one and pennies in the other. I have also tumbled rocks and they came out very nice.

Upvote 1

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I got the one with 2 tumbler containers, I can tumble my cruddy clad coins in one and pennies in the other. I have also tumbled rocks and they came out very nice.
What media do you use for tumbling the rocks?

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m thinking about getting a polisher to tumble some of the rocks we find in the creek. I think my granddaughters would enjoy it and increase their interest in rock hunting. I don’t want to get a junk toy-type tumbler, but don’t want a high dollar unit either.Any recommendations appreciated
Thumbler Tumbler makes great beginner to advanced machines.

Upvote 2

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with a Thumbler machine, I hear the HF machines are a crap shoot on reliability. Lortone was a big maker of hobby level tumblers and they are very good but Lortone went out of business a few years back. You can find new Lortones if you hunt ebay, and used ones too. There is a forum called Rock Tumbler Hobby that is a great source of info for the lapidary arts, you may want to ask there. You should know that it takes about a month to run a batch of tumbled stones, one week for each of four grits, it is not an instant gratification hobby.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I'd go with a Thumbler machine, I hear the HF machines are a crap shoot on reliability. Lortone was a big maker of hobby level tumblers and they are very good but Lortone went out of business a few years back. You can find new Lortones if you hunt ebay, and used ones too. There is a forum called Rock Tumbler Hobby that is a great source of info for the lapidary arts, you may want to ask there. You should know that it takes about a month to run a batch of tumbled stones, one week for each of four grits, it is not an instant gratification hobby.
I went through the forums twice, but can’t find Rock Tumbler Hobby forum. I’m missing it somehow. I’ll keep looking. Thanks for the response.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What media do you use for tumbling the rocks?
The media for tumbling rocks is usually silicon carbide. you go through steps of that first from 60 or 80 grit down to like 600 grit or even finer(usually over 3 or so steps). Then your last two steps will be different. one will be pumice and the final step is a cerium oxide powder. Some people shorten the process by skipping certain steps depending on what look they are after or what types of materials they are tumbling. If going for perfect polish, in the finer tumbling steps(600 grit through polish) often things like plastic beads are used to prevent the rocks from beating each other up.

edit, forgot to add it is important to tumble rocks of like hardness together and do separate batches than to tumble many different types at once

Upvote 3

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I’ll look them up
Yes, they make quality tumblers. I'm saving my (clean) pennies to get the double drum model, the A-R2, since I have a huge amount of clad cents to clean...!

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My HF tumbler has lasted over 10 years, just had to replace the drive belts when they wear out but that doesn't mean all are the same.

Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Model A-R2 .
Versatile two-barrel, 6 lb. capacity tumbler. Uses two 3lb. capacity, long-life, molded rubber barrels. Ideal for small batches of single-type stones for jewelry making or for brass polishing. Heavy continuous duty, fan-cooled motor. Overload protected.

rotary_ar2NEW.jpg

Parts are available, A friend has the same model still running after 20 years.

Upvote 3

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through the forums twice, but can’t find Rock Tumbler Hobby forum. I’m missing it somehow. I’ll keep looking. Thanks for the response.
Actually it is called Rock Tumbling Hobby Forum and it isn't part of T-net, you have to google it. Free to join and lots of lapidary info. Many tumbler people there along with jewelers and other lapidary artists, many who are willing to help with any questions.

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take a look at Lortone Tumbler, I use the one with 3 barrels which are smaller but fits my needs, unless you tumble a lot probably a 1-3 barrels should be good.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lortone is out of business. They made great tumblers but they are hard to find new these days. I have been looking for a spare barrel for mine but most spare parts have already been snatched up by Lortone owners.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread