Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had a great deal of success in landing places to hunt but there are an elusive few that remain
particularly 1 that is a colonial "city" that ran from 1782-1849 with the population topping 500 at one time it is only farm feilds now flat and plowed
ive been denied access from th eout of state owners for now they claim
I always return so many of my finds to the owners and even donate to the local historical museum
any thoughts

Upvote 0

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
I found one way was to offer a hand on hay bale days, get in good with one farmer and let him know you md and are willing to work for the opportunity and he will tell his friends and neighbors.A farmer would be happy to know there is someone to help at a moments notice ,even if its just to help change a tire on the truck.I started helping a farmer at 12 yrs old and by the time I was 16 I had almost full time work all summer and at butchering time and in the winter had hundreds of acres to hunt and fish on and the bonus meat 1/2 hour old was nice.. nothing better tasting !

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the beg like a dawg technique , ::) a beverage of their choice ,helps ! Seriously ,some are scared of strangers getting hurt and sueing them .. Try, barter system , search agreement signing off on any liability . Get to know them ,is a the best way !

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This town i live in goes back to the mid 1600,s so does the farm fields most of the owners are family of the orginal owners old timers, they still grow potatos corn wheat grains when plow time comes in the spring i always ask if can MD the fields before the crops go in they all say yes and say my dad used to metal detect the fields 30 or 40 years ago theres nothing left to find i try to be nice and show them my DFX and how it works they say ok if find anything show me some even say they lost there 1000.00 pocket watch 60 years ago if i find it i have to give it back lol, i say sure i will ( yea right a 1000.00 watch ) my foot ! so far all i have asked have said yes , last summer i found a 1760 French Pau King Louis XV Silver bigger then a Morgan Dollar 12 inches down in a just plowed field the owner told me i could keep it and word spread to the other owners that there is still more in the fields including CW relics which i have found along with Clovis points 3 so far . Showing the owners a new type of detector helps they are just as curious to see whats left in the ground . Good luck and good Hunting . Jim

Attachments

• 1760 coin french 2.jpg
    1760 coin french 2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 978
  • 1760 coin reverse 3.jpg
    1760 coin reverse 3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 974

oldhermit34

Jun 21, 2007
columbus, ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 50
I tell owners that if I find clad I use it for gas, if I find a relic I turn it over to the historical society, ( I do ), if I find a rare coin I sell it and split with the owner, any artifacts I keep or give to Ohio Archaeological Society. Seems to work.

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I offer a 50/50 split but it doesn't always help around here. They are very suspicious, I have no idea why. Even close friends. It's like they don't want to give me a license to steal, even though they are invited and welcomed to be my shadow and digger. Even when I offered to do some friend's house sites just to share the fun and introduce them to the hobby, and give them everything too, and use the machine, I have run into silent reluctance, without a yes or a no.

The opposite is also true, though. I ask, and two days later, they come to pick me up with their kids, and we have a great day.

Ask everybody, and be happy with the rare "yes".

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also often show all that I find and allow them to have pick.I help year round around the ranches,branding calves,fixing fence etc.(Thats why I am so sensitive about people that just go)I show them some of my collection and several papers on the research I have done,along with names of other properties I hunt,and always offer to have them along with me,to see how we do it,dont usually find anything of great monetary value and dont leave big gaping holes open.

chrisanddiane

Dec 7, 2009
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3 Whites XLT & Garrett Ace250 W/ 2 ProPointers
Hi, try carrying a liability release form filled out in advance. It eases the owners mind.
Just copy/paste this into your wordproccesor and fill in your info. You can hand them one as little 'nudge'

Liability Release

I, do hereby remise, release and forever discharge , his heirs, assigns, executors, and administrators from all actions, causes of action, claims and demands whatsoever, whether or not well founded in fact or in law, and from all suits, debts, dues, sums of money, accounts, reckonings, notes (or bonds), bills, specialties, covenants, contracts, controversies, agreements, promises, trespasses, damages, judgments, executions, claims and demands whatsoever, at law or in equity that undersigned ever had, now has, or that his heirs, executors or administrators hereafter may have against the party hereby released by reason of any matter, cause or thing whatsoever up to and including the day of the date of this release.

It is the specific intent and purpose of this instrument to release and discharge any and all claims and causes of action of any kind or nature whatsoever, whether known or unknown and whether specifically mentioned or not, which may exist or might be claimed to exist at or prior to the date of this instrument and undersigned specifically waives any claim or right to assert that any cause of action or alleged cause of action or claim or demand has been, through oversight or error or intentionally or unintentionally, omitted from this release.

The Releasor has caused this Release to be executed this _________day of ___________, 20

Realesor Signature______________________________________

Realesore Printed Name__________________________________

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If Dman or I know don't the landowners or any or their family, we assure the owner that we do not SELL what we find but we are only collectors and are very interested in the historical significance of CW camps, picket posts, etc. Some landowners are scared that relic hunters will find something very valuable and not share with them-especially gold or silver.We also emphasize that we are both members of the historical societies in our respective counties. We show them copies of Western and Eastern treasures Magazines where we have articles or content.
Arrowhead hunters have left a bad taste in the mouths of many landowners in our area. They don't ask permission when they see turned land and trample farmer's crops. We have also had a lot of people move in from other areas who could care less about local CW history.
Some people will NEVER give permission to anyone and they are the ones who have the best relics on their farm. Never ASSUME that you have permission to hunt ASK-no matter how well you know them!!! HH and good luck.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I am lucky, around my area I never get turned down when I ask permission face to face from farmers, about the only time they might say no is when I get lazy and call them. But if I take time to go visit them, introduce myself, explain my hobby, they almost always say yes. What are you gonna hurt in a plowed field??

I show my finds when they want to see them, but have yet come across a farmer who wanted anything from me

chrisanddiane

Dec 7, 2009
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3 Whites XLT & Garrett Ace250 W/ 2 ProPointers
Here in WV it's not so easy, the majority of people are paranoid and do not ever give permission. Over the years I've learned to find the "gray" areas for hunting, unposted property near the road with out any visible structures. 9 times out of 10 those golden spots are posted and they won't let you hunt it. It's so strange here, so many people receive government assistance yet think the government is out to kill them or spy on them or take there guns away. I keep expecting Rod Serling to come out....

GaB

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bake fresh home-made pies. This is no joke. I go through about 20-30 pies a season. I also do little riker displays for the good spots and at Christmas.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Never tried this, but bring a second detector. Property owner will probably be gung-ho at first, then burn out within 15 minutes. I've noticed that when they watch you digging a plug, make sure it's a pull-tab or the like, chances are you'll have the property to yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread