What is a problem with metal detecting industry

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just came across this video and topic and thought it would be interesting, he’s a member on here also, so as the rules go no need to attack another member correct moderators. One mans opinion doesn’t mean he’s correct, but if your open minded and not just a loyal brand operator this is the truth in America concerning products in general. So you tell us why America lacks innovation in this field I’m anxious to learn thankyou

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d like to follow up, I’m going say first what I think, Garrett machines are simply made to be middle of the road machines keeping prices in mind, maybe, oh I never owned one, did use one, honestly xp deus especially are expensive, minelab 800 also, not so much 600. Is it the lack of innovation, or simply labor cost. The machine itself cost what, electronics, coil, housing cheap. So folks we have thousands of hobbiest in usa, what’s the problem. I’ve on a whites point is he has a point, the multiplex by notka in 2021 introducing a multi frequency machine. Oh let’s keep this a peaceful and knowledgeable topic, if you have a honest answer it’s your turn, we all would like to no.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He likes to bash Garrett in his videos, but blocks any replies to the videos. Not cool at all. I've got drawers full of colonial relics and coins, all found with my AT Pro.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He likes to bash Garrett in his videos, but blocks any replies to the videos. Not cool at all. I've got drawers full of colonial relics and coins, all found with my AT Pro.

He bashes Tesoro products as well. I steer clear of his videos. I'll never understand why anyone thinks they are worth viewing.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My philosophy is such, there’s way to much information online, which at one time there was none, I listen to everything, that doesn’t mean I take it and run with it, so if you can take something and learn that’s a good thing. As far as this guy goes I’m not sure if he has an agenda or get monetized from such videos. Point is if you want to use a particular machine for any reasons of which you don’t have to explain please do, as far as higher priced machines go I simply don’t have money to purchase the so called high end xp deus, or minelab 800, Cox 3030. I’m assuming they perform better with learning it however usually with higher cost does come with better performance of some degree. I thought was interesting doesn’t persuade me one way or other, if you read my profile I currently use the simplex until I can afford such an improvement. I am a active detectorist so I get my usage out of it and always take care of eguipment. But in reality as a whole why doesn’t USA make at least a high end machine to compare, oh if they do please list it, thanks and h.h.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, too many people think if they spend a grand or more for a detector that will guarantee that they find more stuff than if they used a $500 machine. Not always true. Skill and location are much more important than how much you spend on a detector. If the coins aren't there, you won't find them, period. And if you haven't mastered the detector you're using, you'll miss a lot of good stuff, especially in trashy areas. Bottom line, you can't buy you way into this hobby. You have to pay your dues and do research to find the good stuff.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your explanation, I myself and mostly friend does so dam much ground work, 1860 map readings etc. as time goes on the fact is since the 70s or so much of the surface finds as in coins, silver where found, so the newer machines do offer some advances to help discover deeper and tones that give you opportunities that never was. Open fields are nice folks but the older stuff is within reach if you dare, that means woods, a lot of walking and search if you find iron related objects you are close. You dig where you want but the pickings are getting harder because of the reason I just stated, so if your health is ok go for it because the woods and lakesides are under estimated places folks. I’m here to learn and my two cents hopefully will help you thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read my comments on Terry Solomon's post from yesterday. Pricing is very important in this hobby.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everything he said in the video!

Matt

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, let me ask you this, u have 1000.00 bucks, what you buying and live with it for 5 years.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49er12 the answer is the XP Deus, it was around $1200 four years + ago, doesn't break and is what I use all the time as it has the best discriminator in the market, great depth, and with the latest upgrade kills it at a salt water beach. But don't tell anyone. And I don't do youtube videos. Why would I want anything else? No reason at all.

Last edited:

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooh yeah...cause that's the measure of a good detector. :icon_scratch: That might be the dumbest thing that I have read on here. Anyone, at any time, with any detector, could get the coil over a banner find, if in the right spot. A banner find is certainly not the measure of a detector's capability, but surely you know this. :dontknow:

Last edited by a moderator:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have said before, the stuff has to be there to begin with, your machine, whatever it is has to be working and you have go dig it. Some days I get the good stuff and my buddy with the exact setup less than 15' away gets zip, other days its the other way around.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me get to the point are we just rambling , I mean come on can we be honest about anything, a banner find can be found with any detectors, measuring a good detect is what exactly, the components in it are only as good as the operator, or am I a dummy, well I was dumb when I was young before, maybe we should have more honest videos than just what’s good for the minute, no wonder people get dizzy from all this nonsense, look give me the best dam machine, only problem is I still have to find the goods correct

Last edited by a moderator:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it this way, my best gold coin was on TOP of the sand. I saw it before the machine did. And that was a $329 machine that screamed when it saw the coin. Don't place your trust in anyone's videos. Ever.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent many winters in AZ. Wickenburg, and LDMA properties.
One week before Christmas an elderly woman(60's) borrowed a Radio Shack detector from a person in camp @ ( Stanton, AZ).
I think I was in the video acting like a "red-neck" from TN, Tom & Perry Massie talking to her and showing off the large piece of rose quartz that was shot with gold.
The stone was weighed and placed in water and weighed again. The difference of ounces tells you how much gold is in the quartz/stone. The Massie's gave her $2500.00 cash for the quartz stone. She was crying and said, "when I left camp I was wondering how I was going to give Christmas to my kids & grand kids. I also had a tear.
Morale of the story; get off your ass and go hunting with what you got.
It was on the Lucky Linda Claim about 2 1/2 miles from camp. I have one of those detectors, go figure.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey let me ask you this in general, your opinion, guessing, or facts, I think your in Maryland. All this treasure talk east coast down to Florida, what percentage is frankly just a few hundred yards from the shore, and as far as hurricanes go do they cause such a disruption that they actually move items that much and low tide besttime to search

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey let me ask you this in general, your opinion, guessing, or facts, I think your in Maryland. All this treasure talk east coast down to Florida, what percentage is frankly just a few hundred yards from the shore, and as far as hurricanes go do they cause such a disruption that they actually move items that much and low tide besttime to search

Several million dollars were found couple years ago right off the shore line when holes were blown in the sand it exposed a reef buried, under the reef were gold coins and chains. Hurricanes do indeed throw treasure up on the shore, after hurricanes in 2004 hundreds of Spanish silver were found on the beaches of the treasure coast.

Capitana crew finds over 350 gold coins on 1715 Fleet Anniversary .. (treasurenet.com)

Treasure found, Fleet wreck..pull 4 million worth in royal 8 escudos (treasurenet.com)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skipped through the video, but the captions were messing up
and I just couldn't understand much. Still, I'd like to share my
opinion on the subject at hand.

I started metal detecting some 50 years ago, and while life got
in the way for a couple decades, I've always had a machine of
some type in case I got the bug to go dirtfishing.

I've had a couple Garret units, a White's 5000D Series 2 (which,
by-the-way was a uber-deep hunting machine if you got the coil
swinging fast enough), a Compass 420/TR, a couple Fisher's and
currently a Nokta Fors Gold.

Once you have a capable machine (ie: one that beeps when it
encounters metal), then there are just three things needed.

Attitude
Effort
Ear(s)

The right Attitude means you'll put in the Effort to do the research and
spend the necessary hours in the field. This is followed by knowing your machine,
and what it's telling your well trained Ears in those headphones.

I think every detector is a bit of an individual..they each have their own quirks.
Spending the time in the field together means you're learning how it responds
to targets, and that the slightly different tone you recognize can make the difference
between digging a potentially awesome target, or walking way.

Yes, quality in a detector does count, absolutely, but aside from the person who
finds something just by blind luck, it also takes time, effort and study.

Mis dos centavos.... twocents-1.gif

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49er12, yes I am in Maryland. There are shipwrecks all along the east coast here, but generally not concentrated like the ones in Florida. From memory (a scary thing), the "Spanish Main" was from Florida north to about Massachusetts. The galleons would sort of hug the coast, and then take the westerlies across the Atlantic off of Long Island. Many ships were lost all along the coast, many miles out to sea.

Hurricanes that brush the coast can cause a huge disruption in the sand, and a nor'easter can do a lot of the same thing. Most early homes were close to waterways, but in the quest for land that didn't last long. People spread out! A lot! Treasure is where you find it. Think of it like this, the more people, the more stuff they lost. Since I like OLD stuff, any of the original 13 states will do it, and for the folks looking for jewelry, just about any beach that its legal to detect on is fair game, but others will have been there too looking.

For instance take Spanish silvers from the 18th century. I have found them on ocean beaches and as far as 100 miles inland.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread