What is anyones expireences in locating a dump site or privy at old house sites?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What is anyone's expireences in locating a dump site or privy at old house sites?

I have been searching an old site out in the boonies where nothing was around for miles, but have not been able to locate the dump site or the privy yet. It would have to have both. In the sites you have searched, were the dump sites and privies within a 200 ft radius of the house? That has been my experiences in the past, but this one has me scratching my head.

Upvote 0

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creskol one of the main things I look for is away from the house about 30 feet you know in the harsh winters they would not want to walk very far. I always look for area that seam to be sorta sunken in or bright green patches of grass or weeds ( this has not worked yet) the green patches all the rich stuff dumped there. But it could also be dead grass from all the steel dumped there but anyways check for sunken in areas... HH good luck get you a long probing rod and go at an angle it seems to work best that way. Hope this helped a little

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think the privy "almost certainly"...the dump site " a good bet", but I've found a number of dump sites several hundred feet from the dwelling. While convenience was a factor for both, seems more critical for the former.I'd like to think that I would have given up a bit of convenience in favor of not staring at a pile of trash.

Do you use a steel probe in your searches or anatomy of the land and detector? When I don't see any definitive signs, I try to envision the dwelling on the site with the ridge line running east-west, the main rooms/entrance on the South side and the privy within easy SCURRYING distance downwind from that entrance. That's my starting point.

I did find another good use for my probe... I thought I had found a privy at this one site as the probe disappeared to it's full 4' depth with almost zero effort. Turns out it was just a very sandy hill with no stones at all in those first 4 feet. Lots of young head height Pine trees hide the finer topography of the land, but by probing, I was easily able to find the exact path/road to the barn and several spurs that I think will lead to other outbuildings.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think the privy "almost certainly"...the dump site " a good bet", but I've found a number of dump sites several hundred feet from the dwelling. While convenience was a factor for both, seems more critical for the former.I'd like to think that I would have given up a bit of convenience in favor of not staring at a pile of trash.

Do you use a steel probe in your searches or anatomy of the land and detector? When I don't see any definitive signs, I try to envision the dwelling on the site with the ridge line running east-west, the main rooms/entrance on the South side and the privy within easy SCURRYING distance downwind from that entrance. That's my starting point.

I did find another good use for my probe... I thought I had found a privy at this one site as the probe disappeared to it's full 4' depth with almost zero effort. Turns out it was just a very sandy hill with no stones at all in those first 4 feet. Lots of young head height Pine trees hide the finer topography of the land, but by probing, I was easily able to find the exact path/road to the barn and several spurs that I think will lead to other outbuildings.

Thanks for your thoughts. This site dates from the 1700's to the turn of the 19th century. We are still in the process of screening the old house site, and will be able to determine better how the house and the detached kitchen was situated. However, we have searced the site with detectors and probes but the dump and privy elude us. There are washes or filled ravines on either side of the site, but not real close, and if they hold the treasures, they are deeper than for feet. It is a very confusing site. In 44 years of digging, I have never had this much problem locating the dump and privy.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Creskol one of the main things I look for is away from the house about 30 feet you know in the harsh winters they would not want to walk very far. I always look for area that seam to be sorta sunken in or bright green patches of grass or weeds ( this has not worked yet) the green patches all the rich stuff dumped there. But it could also be dead grass from all the steel dumped there but anyways check for sunken in areas... HH good luck get you a long probing rod and go at an angle it seems to work best that way. Hope this helped a little

Thanks Freddie I appreciate your thoughts. Those are good pointers!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have checked an old colonial estate in my area with the following results. The outhouse was about 25' from the downhill side of the house. The well was about 15' from the uphill side of the house. The dump was a bit over 200' to the rear of the house and on a slope. The dump drove my detector crazy with many signals. The outhouse was barren, that is mostly a light brown from the lime used to control odor. The well had been filled in. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,272

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree; the privy wasn't too far - remember, the kids had to use it too.

The dump: I use to find lots of these when hunting. I never had to associate them with the house since I was in the woods anyway. They were located where it was convenient to put them; many times they filled up a ravine so they wouldn't wash out, and most of the time they were far enough away from the house that they didn't have to deal with the stuff. They were easy to get to, every one. There wasn't too much waste in the old days; broken Mason jars, tin pails with holes in the bottom and the like. The iron scraps should sing out when you get to them, and remember, the oldest stuff is on the bottom.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again to all those who shared their thoughts and experiences ... Much obliged!

Hope you all have a Great Christmas!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Covered pretty good above. Downhill, DOWNWIND. Try to find areas that have different foliage patterns. Maybe try a Google Earth look for patterns not evident from ground level. TTC

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would seriously be surprised how many dump sites I have found simply by walking DOWNWIND! Make sure you are hunting on the walk as well.. If you make a good find, try and build a trail in your mind that they might have taken..

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know the one is on my property, is was a easy find it was still standing

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is anyone's expireences in locating a dump site or privy at old house sites?

I wouldn't have the slightest of clue :dontknow: lool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread