Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gtfd47 had a very interesting post on Ticks!!! What I would like to know. what is fact and what is the correct thing to do? Dr. Oz claimed not to use a hot match because the tick will regurgitate it's infection into your blood. He says to just pull the tick out and not to worry about the head. He says the head won't hurt you. The body will push the head out eventually. I don't know what to believe. Here is my personal experience though. I pulled some ticks right off and a few left their head in my skin. I dug the head out on one and put peroxide on the spot. Turned red but fine in a few days. I also used a match and a hot needle. The tick didn't budge and I finally took tweezers and pulled it. If it secreted any thing it didn't seem to make any difference. I am confused on just what to do. What are your actual experiences when bitten not just ticks on you. Do you have resources that can help on what to do. Appreciate any information it is very confusing.
Burdie
PS Dr Oz talked about tick care on Oprah. Yes I watched it. I can also tell if a woman is wearing the correct bra to. ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
On the ones I've gotten, I've always just used my fingernails to get as close to the head as possible and pulled them out and then used a clean needle to get any head out, using alcohol and peroxide to cleanse and then a bit of antibacterial ointment on the wound. I've never seemed to have any problems (knocking on wood).

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
I believe the hot match thing is no longer recommended. It's never worked for me.

If you pull S-L-O-W-L-Y, (tweezers are usually recommended, but I prefer small needle nose pliers) you usually will not break off the head. Otherwise, just scrape it out like Stoney says, and always cleanse the wound and use antiseptic.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Hot match never worked for me, either. I have heard you're supposed to twist them gently while pulling them out, but I really don't think it matters. Once the buggers are seated, they're tough to get out.

I just use my fingers.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Swiss Army must have ticks, because some time a while back they issued a dandy tick plucker. I've never had one attached on myself (that I know of), but dog manages to pick up hitch-hikers on occasion. I tip the edge in over the tick's head from behind, pinch and tug.

Victorinox-Tweezers.gif

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Put a dab of barbeque sauce next to the tick.
It will dislodge itself and go for the
barbeque..

bbq.jpg

Ticks love barbeque. ;)

all have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
We just had an email circulate around work regarding ticks and their removal....
FYI.. I got this from the The Lyme Disease Foundation plus reading many other medical websites I found out that smothering (alcohol soaked cottonball) the tick does not work and is actually worse for you. The only way I found is shown below.

Here is another link from the American Family Physician on tick removal: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020815/643.html

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
used ta be just yankin em would lead to infection because they suspected the head to be the problem not the dirty surrounding me i always carry some eppi back in a carry on eppi or epneferine sort of burns em so they let go like roches and other insects with exoskeltons we used it ta get roaches out of peoples ears. wonder if natural oils might work like olive oil ta prevent them in the first place has ta be somthing or any lotion

LOL how about wearing a flea an tick colar LOL

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Arakronn said:
We just had an email circulate around work regarding ticks and their removal....
FYI.. I got this from the The Lyme Disease Foundation plus reading many other medical websites I found out that smothering (alcohol soaked cottonball) the tick does not work and is actually worse for you. The only way I found is shown below.

Here is another link from the American Family Physician on tick removal: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020815/643.html

Good article thanx!!!

S

stefen

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Put a dab of barbeque sauce next to the tick.
It will dislodge itself and go for the
barbeque..

Ticks love barbeque. ;)

all have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

Learned something new today...probably works quite well...

Any particular brand? Tex-max? Salsa?

OP
OP
Burdie

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew you TNetters would come up with great information. Thaks to all. Your the greatest.
Burdie

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just from personal experience, I have left a few heads in by accident and it always makes a knot that itches for weeks. I always use the oil of wintergreen, just dab them with it on a q-tip and they back out and let go. Swab good with a little alcohol and it just leaves a little red mark for a few days. Monty

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Monty said:
Just from personal experience, I have left a few heads in by accident and it always makes a knot that itches for weeks. I always use the oil of wintergreen, just dab them with it on a q-tip and they back out and let go. Swab good with a little alcohol and it just leaves a little red mark for a few days. Monty

I'm gonna have to try that trick, Monty. Sounds like a good one. :)

bruizr

Feb 4, 2006
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, 'big bud' by bounty hunter, aqua vision
monty's wintergreen oil on a Q-tip is right on for gettin' em off.
the best way to keep them off besides repelent is to take garlic supplements ( the no odor kind for those with friends ! ). i take them regularly and double up on them before going in the wild.
i came home and found 2 ticks inside my clothes but niether had bitten me. the garlic is a natural repelent for blood feeders like ticks, fleas, mosquitos and i don't know about vampires or chiggers. LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread