image.jpeg
    652.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
B

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Iron stuff

I showed this item to a friend last night and he said that it is a blacksmith made nut (It has threads in the center hole). The curled up end with the hole is for an iron bar to go through and is used to get leverage to ttghten the nut with. I think he is abslolutely right about it. Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to the age? The site that it came from has yielded some very old artifacts inclluding a 58 caliber enfield rifle bullet that is unfired. Today I added two eye hoes that have probably been in the ground for at least a hundred years. Both are pretty well rusted away and both appear to be blacksmith made. One has rusted away until there is nothing left but the eye and a small piece of metal just below it! I've found no coins yet but hopefully we will soon. My hunting partner, Darla,
will be back from her business trip soon so maybe our luck will change for the better! But, there is an old metal detecting saying that says "The more you hunt the luckier you get!" It is very true. Thanks for taking the time to read this rambling message. BRD( in Texas)

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iron nut

Hello BRD,

Looks a lot like the nut used to hold a plow blade onto a horse drawn plow stock. My dad was the last generation of the family to use a mule drawn plow and as a boy I remember him changing plow blades. To tighten it or take it off, he would give it a whack on the wing with a hammer.

CAP

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iron nut

Hello BRD,

Looks a lot like the nut used to hold a plow blade onto a horse drawn plow stock. My dad was the last generation of the family to use a mule drawn plow and as a boy I remember him changing plow blades. To tighten it or take it off, he would give it a whack on the wing with a hammer.

CAP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread