What is it?

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
I found this in a area filled with pottery close to a river in South Carolina. Ne help iding it is appreciated. I have spent 8 hrs researching it and can find ZERO artifacts that look even close to it. It is made of sandstone the hole appears to have been drilled as it is stepped down almost threaded looking at the tops of hole.

Attachments

• notsure.jpg
    notsure.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 250
  • notsure.jpg
    notsure.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 0
OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
about 1" at the thickest point the groove on side.

Attachments

• 006resized.jpg
    006resized.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 005resized.jpg
    005resized.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 004resized.jpg
    004resized.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 282
OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
no ideas??????? geofact???? some type of hoe? arrow shaft straightener? come on somebody has to have an idea...

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I don't know, I was thinking a limestone hoe, but the side shots kill that idea. My guess is natural rock...

I'm sure others will chime in as they wake up, or after they get home from work... 2:30am post? You've got a good case of rock addiction if these questions are keeping you up at night... :)

OP
OP
buzzgator

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
the rounded off end that would be the blade of the hoe is worn down and smoother than the rest its also the thin side.... the 2:30 am posting part was a case of a long drive home from a mding hunt where this particular rock was found....

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

My inclination on that one is a geofact. Since you found it in an area with other artifacts, its a hard call, but sandstone doesnt lend itself well to any type of hoe, just too weak. Also the hole in it appears to be natural as there is a raised area in the stone in the form of a circle around the hole. I don have a couple of sandstone hones that are close to that, but they are of a very dense sandstone and exhibit a lot more uniformity and polish.

Just one opinion,

Atlantis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread