Upvote 0

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Groundskeeper By the way it's worked a rough scraper of some sort, possibly for working wood or bone. It lacks the finner edges required of a hide scraper or meat cutting tool. Thru the years I've assembled a bunch of similiarly worked objects. A lot of them are made from the turtle back flakes probably for convenience. Some of them are the heart of the cobble as well. Either way it takes only a few minutes to create an effective match. My guess is that because it was so easy to do, they discarded them where they sat rather than carry them along. I always keep them when I find them. They all have a story to tell. Thanks for showing Lone Star

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Lone Star said:
Groundskeeper By the way it's worked a rough scraper of some sort, possibly for working wood or bone. It lacks the finner edges required of a hide scraper or meat cutting tool. Thru the years I've assembled a bunch of similiarly worked objects. A lot of them are made from the turtle back flakes probably for convenience. Some of them are the heart of the cobble as well. Either way it takes only a few minutes to create an effective match. My guess is that because it was so easy to do, they discarded them where they sat rather than carry them along. I always keep them when I find them. They all have a story to tell. Thanks for showing Lone Star
The funny thing is i was gonna describe it as looking like a turtle shell ! I guess i should ask... were this was found was this more and likely a Camp Site? Thanks..

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could have been a temporary one as well. When we dig in a site that's been inhabited on and off for several thousand years you find a great number of the same mixed in with the camp debris. Its all relative and worth the ponder.
Lone Star

Attachments

• Texas Tools.jpg
    Texas Tools.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 681
  • Texas Tools.jpg
    Texas Tools.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 681

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
IMO, these are tools of necessity. Easy to make, but it wasn't worth their while lugging around. I personally love to find them. I keep them in my 'tool box'.

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Groundskeeper and Hutch. You got that right!. I just realized I sent the wrong picture. This is of one of my tool boxes at the office. Thanks, Lone Star

Attachments

• 100_7514.jpg
    100_7514.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 636
  • 100_7521.jpg
    100_7521.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 632
OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Lone Star said:
Could have been a temporary one as well. When we dig in a site that's been inhabited on and off for several thousand years you find a great number of the same mixed in with the camp debris. Its all relative and worth the ponder.
Lone Star
Its hard for me to not pick it up ..affraid i may pass something up that is good!! Before i knew what a civil war bullet was almost tossed them .. :icon_scratch: heres more pics

Attachments

• rockies 007.jpg
    rockies 007.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 618
  • rockies 003.jpg
    rockies 003.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 593
OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Lone Star said:
Groundskeeper and Hutch. You got that right!. I just realized I sent the wrong picture. This is of one of my tool boxes at the office. Thanks, Lone Star
In my mind if any rock was handled in any way its going home !! Thats just me :thumbsup:

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Hutch in PA said:
IMO, these are tools of necessity. Easy to make, but it wasn't worth their while lugging around. I personally love to find them. I keep them in my 'tool box'.
makes perfect sense to me .. Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Have a question for you Lone Star ... Them finds you have posted.. were them found in and around the same places? I was thinking if i wanted to keep my finds oraganized /seperate from my hunts in different areas ... Thanks' ..Randy

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Groundskeeper, Yes and no. They are all from Texas. The different tools tend to meander from one grouping to another. When I'm in a study mode, or just doing "family pictures" I don't always bother to rejoin them with their counterparts from the same dig or box. I do tend to label my favorites with the site and county, as well as group them by similarities. Some came within a mile of their box-mates and some up to a few hundred miles away. Everything here at the office is from the Nueces River Canyon country and The Cibolo Creek / Sandpit area in Wilson County. I have a few hundred or so at the house I haven't even cataloged yet. All those came from Coke County near Robert Lee, Texas.
FYI On a typical dig you may get a bucket or two of various debitage and camp debris. Many diggers don't bother to keep any of it it and just throw it aside. Fresh out of the dirt and with your eyes peeled for points you can't always tell, so I throw EVERYTHING in a bucket, take it all home and wash them when I get around to it. You would be suprised by the variation and exent of usage you find on almost everything. It blows me away everytime.
Thanks Lone Star

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Lone Star said:
Groundskeeper, Yes and no. They are all from Texas. The different tools tend to meander from one grouping to another. When I'm in a study mode, or just doing "family pictures" I don't always bother to rejoin them with their counterparts from the same dig or box. I do tend to label my favorites with the site and county, as well as group them by similarities. Some came within a mile of their box-mates and some up to a few hundred miles away. Everything here at the office is from the Nueces River Canyon country and The Cibolo Creek / Sandpit area in Wilson County. I have a few hundred or so at the house I haven't even cataloged yet. All those came from Coke County near Robert Lee, Texas.
FYI On a typical dig you may get a bucket or two of various debitage and camp debris. Many diggers don't bother to keep any of it it and just throw it aside. Fresh out of the dirt and with your eyes peeled for points you can't always tell, so I throw EVERYTHING in a bucket, take it all home and wash them when I get around to it. You would be suprised by the variation and exent of usage you find on almost everything. It blows me away everytime.
Thanks Lone Star
Cool :thumbsup: . I use the fishing lure/ plastic organizers lined with paper towels ..I have about a dozen places i hunt..When i get several from one area gonna make display boxes .. But whats confusing is the material/rocks is not always the same ....Different tribes i guess..

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
not always different tribes! the same tribe might get quartz to the south, black flint to the north,, white flint or cheat to the east and blue flint and hardstone to the west.. depending on what direction they went hunting or if moving camp whitch direction they left or entered one of the camps, what material they had to work with till they pasted another material site. or allways what they could trade for.. Terry

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys , Ya gotta remember one thing. Tribes have been around maybe a thousand years or so. When your talking about ancient, or any of the Archaic periods, there wen't no dang tribes. It was more than likely extended family groups of nomadic hunters and gatherers. This tool form spans the ages for several thousand years. Thats why on a dig we find so many. These tools forms are in the top layers under the grass, they're in every layer of occupation below that, and so on till virgin earth.
Lets use Texas for an example. Take the nueces river which has lots of pecan and oak bottem lands along the river. On the same 30 x 30 piece of ground on a bend in the river that shows occupation now, if you would start going down you will usually find other nomadic groups that just so happenend to sit their butts on the same 900 sq ft. Some to the left a bit, some to the right, and some dead on the same spot.. Chances are , if it was a good productive place to be, it would have been visited seasonaly by the same family groups, or splinters of the same season after season, millenia after millenia
By which they will all leave their mark on that strata at that time. This went on season after season. Only in more modern times (last 1000 years) did the ancients start staying places longer, hence tribes and villages. Thanks guys, Lone Star

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
tmodel said:
not always different tribes! the same tribe might get quartz to the south, black flint to the north,, white flint or cheat to the east and blue flint and hardstone to the west.. depending on what direction they went hunting or if moving camp whitch direction they left or entered one of the camps, what material they had to work with till they pasted another material site. or allways what they could trade for.. Terry
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

OP
OP
GroundS.KeepeR

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee
Lone Star said:
Hey Guys , Ya gotta remember one thing. Tribes have been around maybe a thousand years or so. When your talking about ancient, or any of the Archaic periods, there wen't no dang tribes. It was more than likely extended family groups of nomadic hunters and gatherers. This tool form spans the ages for several thousand years. Thats why on a dig we find so many. These tools forms are in the top layers under the grass, they're in every layer of occupation below that, and so on till virgin earth.
Lets use Texas for an example. Take the nueces river which has lots of pecan and oak bottem lands along the river. On the same 30 x 30 piece of ground on a bend in the river that shows occupation now, if you would start going down you will usually find other nomadic groups that just so happenend to sit their butts on the same 900 sq ft. Some to the left a bit, some to the right, and some dead on the same spot.. Chances are , if it was a good productive place to be, it would have been visited seasonaly by the same family groups, or splinters of the same season after season, millenia after millenia
By which they will all leave their mark on that strata at that time. This went on season after season. Only in more modern times (last 1000 years) did the ancients start staying places longer, hence tribes and villages. Thanks guys, Lone Star
Well understood :thumbsup: ...Always near a water sorce for sure...

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
I hunt one area that has five distinct fire rings all on top of each other, seperated by a foot of virgin soil....if it was a good place to camp, I believe that it would be used over and over again...the land owner has dug everything from bird points to clovis thru the years.....goat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread