S

Scooter71

Oct 12, 2017
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks "against the wind", today was my first time relic hunting and I'm hooked..lol. I can't wait to get back out there. The round loop on top of this thing rotates. A friend of mine thinks maybe it'd\s an old plum bob?????

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plumb bob, and could easily have been used as a manual depth finder. Attach stout cord with knots every so many feet and you can use it for sounding the bottom of a body of water.

OP
OP
S

Scooter71

Oct 12, 2017
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks smokey. Can you recommend the best way to clean this thing up? As you can tell, I'm new to treasure huntin.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a cool relic. Don't know the size of the river but I agree that it is probably for sounding. This device was used by the men that the author Samuel Clemmons took his pen name from, Mark Twain. I recommend electrolysis. All you need is an old phone charger and some alligator clips. Welcome to the site!

OP
OP
S

Scooter71

Oct 12, 2017
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir. I was just reading about electrolysis. You guys have been most helpful. Thanks again!

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like its kind of big for a Plum Bob.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people like electrolysis. Since I assume this was found in fresh water, I'd go get some "iron out" at one of the big box hardware stores. It removes iron stain. "Zud" will also work. Put your item in a plastic container, away from people and animals, stuff is harmful, don't drink it! and then boil or just heat up some water. Put the water in the bucket with the chemical. I think I put the chemical in the empty bucket first and then add the water. Both give off fumes, so best to do it outside. Then you can either cover your bucket with something or lock it in a shed, which I prefer. Read the instructions. After a few days, take it out, let it sit a day or two in plain water to get rid of the chemical, then wire brush it. Some people then oil it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread