🏆 HONORABLE MENTION What is more exciting than a gold ring? A gold coin!!

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better watch it. Gold coin finds generally end up on the banner, as they should.

Great find(s), great story. Hey, I even like the blanket pin. Been awhile since I'd seen one.

That coin is in really nice shape- btw. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your good deed in returning the man's ring did not go unrewarded. Not only the 100 bucks, but the gold coin as well. Nice of him to pay you, some people would say thanks and think they did plenty and nice of you to give the dive shop 20%. You gave a lot and you received a lot. Glad you were wearing your helmet.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pay day for doing the right thing!

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Glad you didn't have more serious injuries. I guess you will remember this day! Take care of yourself.

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
Grats on the gold coin....and the ring return/reward....I'm still lookin' for my first gold coin....one day....gl and hh!!

slomoe

Dec 24, 2008
Baltimore, Md.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing story until the crash. I think saltwater is good for healing road rash so the quicker you are able, get back out there and get that good Karma flowing. slomoe:coffee2:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great find! How often do you get to return a ring and find a gold coin on the same day? BANNER is my vote!!!

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Caribbean's are a great place to find strange and outrageous items. This is one of them! :occasion14: :occasion14:

H2oHunter

May 4, 2012
Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garett, Fisher, Troy Whtes.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
2 or 3 gold rings

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Garrett Pro pointer, Tect O Trak
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done, and congratulations. :thumbsup:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn you got some nice gold booty there! Congrats

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[It depends TNT-K9:
I find it exhilarating, to see the glint of Gold in the scoop.
This is a reflex action, does not matter what the find object is – just that it’s gold. I would think that a thick gold chain with an ancient Spanish Cross would really be exciting but so would finding an emerald ring from a Spanish ship like Gary Drayton did –maybe even better.

It would depend on the nature of the coin. Finding a 1 Troy oz Canadian Maple leaf would really be nice because of size and .9999 Gold Purity, it is a beautiful coin to hold and look at but I would not give it a banner.
As it is a bullion coin, it may have just sat around in someone’s retirement account. The same can be said for restrikes – as their value is determined by melt value.

I believe that the coin you found deserves a banner, as it has an interesting history. The coin of my dreams, which I have hunted for is not really a coin, but a hexagon Gold Slug, ($50 Hubert Augustus), IIRC it weighted 1.4 Troy Oz and was carried on wagon trains for buying large quantities of supplies. Being rare it is worth anywhere from $40,000 to over $175,000 depending on condition. Finding it would be my dream of dreams. Most likely, I will never find it and if I did - I don't what I would do.
Hopefully I could sell it to a museum or donate part of its value to a musueum so that it can be seen by all and I can fund future hunts. Its not like being skunked as we live by our dreams rather than finds.

QUOTE=tnt-k9;3825438]Last night I got a call from my favorite dive shop owner. She said that a newlywed had lost his ring earlier in the day. She didn't have many details so I told her I would just be out at the location at 7:00 am. This morning I get out there just before 7:00 and I jumped into the water with no clue the general location of the lost wedding band or even what kind of ring it was.

About 45 minutes into the search I see a young man and a woman who had "that look". I waded up to their position on the beach and asked if he had lost something yesterday. He replied "you're the guy I have been waiting for".

I asked him to describe his ring and the wife said it was tungsten. I'm thinking to myself, tungsten, really!

So he gives me the details of how he lost it and the general area. While I'm searching for his ring I get a little signal and chase it around a little bit. Finally I get it into the scoop and see a glint of yellow. Oh boy I'm thinking, a ring. Then I see that it's a coin. Well I think it's not anything of any significance so in the pouch it goes. Almost dismissal of it.

A little bit more searching and I find his ring and he is delighted to the tune of $100.00 bucks.

I stop by the dive shop to share the wealth to the tune of 20%. I always share the wealth when they call me.

When I get to work I start researching the coin I found. Oh boy!!! It is a 1932 Dutch 10 guilder coin. .900 (21.60K) of gold, 6.7 grams. There were 2 on Ebay. One for $271 and another for $450.

The rest of the pics have been collected over the past week. A silver earring, ring and a handful of coinage. Thanks for looking and good luck out there!![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions