What is the best metal detector (all around machine)?

dex378

Dec 1, 2007
Foxboro, Massachussetts
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Upvote 0

Beeping_Rich

Jun 25, 2014
Green Cove Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Fingers, waiting for my BH Tracker IV to come in....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to start swinging

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141025_084848.png
    ForumRunner_20141025_084848.png
    247.3 KB · Views: 197

roobinjake

Oct 17, 2014
south east kent uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro gold sabre ,toltec100 ,cutlass umax,vintage cscope3300,,fieldmaster55, fieldmaste44,fisher mscope1210x, cscopecs990xd, toltec 80 ,fieldmaster fm250, lobo supertrq , bandido ,vintage bounty hunt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the trusty ole gold sabre i got mine in the eighties from frank melish in london,never let me down,used on thames,inland sites,loves silver hammerd coins,never gone wrong ,cant fault it,found lots roman stuff on thames,with 4" coil ,also use the toltec 100, and cutlass umax

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out detecting Saturday. I had my 15 inch coil on. I was in a very large tot lot of wood chips. About a hour into a hunt a guy shows up behind me and says I didnt leave him anything lol. Thats usually the way these conversations go when I meet someone in the city park. You should see what it does in the desert when I turn it up on full power. I can literally hunt with the coil a foot off the ground. I can give a few to check out. But some of the best equipment made is made by a company called OKM. Way out of my price range.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Detectors are like golf clubs, different detectors for different situations. You wouldn't use a putter to tee off with, or a driver to putt with......It is the same with detectors, different detectors work better for different situations.........................

That is exactly what I tell my novice bass fishing clients when they ask me why I have so many rods on my deck. Or they ask me to recommend the best "all around" rod and reel combo for bass fishing. I turn it around and ask them if they would play golf with one club.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats funny is the OP hasnt been on the site since 2009..Wonder if he even detects anymore

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro is the best all around detector.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro... Really... is mask good targets in iron areas and the coin depth in max 6-7 "

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Whats funny is the OP hasnt been on the site since 2009..Wonder if he even detects anymore

Who the hell keeps resurrecting these threads? I need to remember to check the date before I reply.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro... Really... is mask good targets in iron areas and the coin depth in max 6-7 "
All around...didn't say it was best at any one thing.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who the hell keeps resurrecting these threads? I need to remember to check the date before I reply.
Yeah, I hate finding out I replied to someone who hasn't been on here in five years.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've seen you post the same thing about the CTX on masking targets in iron areas. What detector do you use that doesn't have an iron masking problem?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
*** Notice to you new guys, No one likes to post only to find out that the post is years old! Don't dig up old posts! If you have a question, start a new post.***
skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-3.jpg

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minelabs detectors

So your combo of the excaliber/explorer works pretty good for you ? All for under $2400?

CAUTION:MINELAB quit working on many of their models,before you buy make sure minelab still repairs the model that you want:)You will be supprised at what they do not work on.-james

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can call Minelab repair at Kellyco and they will tell you what detectors are still supported by Minelab with parts. Basically any detector from Explorer II and earlier can no longer get motherboards for, so repairs on those are hit and miss depending on the problem...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It violates no rules to post on old posts, members can point out the thread is old but no insults or attacks on members for posting in them.....

rabert

Dec 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to detecting and wish to buy my wife a detector for beach work initially. Can someone please advise me what a mid range, decent detector I should buy for her? Can anyone kindly explain the difference of dry beach, land and wet beach. I, we, don';t know about sounds, coils, land differences etc., etc., Your kind comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Key distinction to remember: when you say wet sand do you mean salt or fresh? In many wet salt locations, single frequency detectors don't do well. Their sensitivity needs to be reduced losing you a lot of depth. On wet salt locations you either need a pulse or multi frequency detector. There are a few exceptions, but again, offer limited depth.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But to actually answer your question, the at pro but add the 5x8 coil if she plans to do any park hunting as the stock coil is too big.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread