Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
With more snow & cold weather upon us, the cabin fever is running high. I stumbled across these pics and realized that I had some of my best hunts here, a few years back. I returned earlier this year, finding virtually nothing except some recently dropped coins.

It is a ghost town (more of a ghost street) with about 8 houses and an old school house, located in West Trenton, NJ. The state owns the property, in the shadow of what was once called the New Jersey State Lunatic Asylum.

What are some of your favorite places that you had the opportunity to hunt?

Attachments

• gt1.jpg
    gt1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 828
  • gt5.jpg
    gt5.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 800
  • gt4.jpg
    gt4.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 809
  • gt3.jpg
    gt3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 821
  • gt2.jpg
    gt2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 828
Upvote 0

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
Well to start if i ever was going to hunt there again I wouldnt let this one slip..

I used to work here.. in the 90's - it looks much different today as Sun Microsystems redeveloped the land.. however they left the original 1890's buildings.

Now I am not sure how security is there on weekends, or even if they would have a problem with people detecting... Like i said i havent been there in awhile..

When i was there it was great... Like picking pull tabs - except the funny thing is there are no pull tabs... In the infinite wisdom of the State of CA no soda was served... Hey wait did i just compliment the state...

Anyways I have pulled alot of silver out of the grassy areas in the pictures... most of my focus was around the many trees ( trees which were planted after the worlds fair )..

Here is a wikepedia article and some recent pics... couldnt find any old pics..

good luck

ps this is located in Santa Clara CA off Montague Expwy

the state also has another newer site off zanker road thats still operational... I never hunted that site... although i bet its good as well..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnews_Developmental_Center

Attachments

• agnewnew2.jpg
    agnewnew2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 500
  • agnewnew.jpg
    agnewnew.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 506
  • agnews1-9741.jpg
    agnews1-9741.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 479

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best place to hunt, and still is,is mill creek park in in youngstown ohio. This place is over a 100 years old and is a park within a park,within a park,etc.l I have found,over the years,any where from a 1775 spanish 2 reale,indian head pennies,barber coins,large cents,wheaties,buffalo,v nickles,mercurys,rosies,walking libertys,franklins,standing libertys,etc, No gold coins or rare dates but I am still looking! I go back every year for about five years and still find stuff. Sure its slim pickings,sometimes,but I dont give up! You got to go back,no place is entirely hunted out. If in my area,give me a hollar and I would love to go out with you. Sorry this is so long ,but I love this place. Happy Hunting!

King-John

Jan 14, 2007
Grass Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/X1 Probe, Whites 6000 XL pro, Ace 250,
Old Pony Express Station near Tracy, Ca. No one knew that this lot was until I did some research and found it was a Pony Express Stop, Found Silver, a Banta Inn Token, Old Buttons and several Bennington Marbles ;D

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Hill" The size of four lots. Yielded interesting relics, 1918-S Merc, 1920-D wheat, 1883 IH, and a 1920-D Merc....

T

TreasureTales

Polish countryside is very beautiful. I can see why you'd want to hunt there.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back I had the opportunity to hunt an old fairgounds/ racetrack dating back to the 1800's that was under renovation. The entire approx 10 acre site had all the top soil stripped off prior to regrading to turn it into ball and soccer fields. We (my buddy and I) hunted the huge piles of topsoil and hunted again during the process off resoreading the topsoil on the new fields. It was a ball! IH pennies Barbers dimes and quarters, merc dimes V nickels and every thing you could imagine came out of their for months! Some coins were laying on top of the ground after the dirt was respread.

HH Tom

JimInPhilly

Mar 27, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro and Sovereign Elite
Hi Neil, My favorite place is the Goldmine ;D

Attachments

• 100_1244.jpg
    100_1244.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 100_1241.jpg
    100_1241.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 344
  • 100_1244.jpg
    100_1244.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_1241.jpg
    100_1241.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 357

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy what a question, I have many. One of my favorites I and my partner found last year. We were just driving along and only had an hour to hunt. I asked my partner if he had ever stopped at a one room school house site that we had just passed and asked for permission to hunt the site. He said no and I turned around and went back to the school. To make a long story short, we got permission from the owner. The site had been a One room school house in the 1860's, a church and now a residence. As far as the owner new, no one had ever hunted there.

We hunt this site often and are still finding goodies. Both of us dug more than a 100 wheat pennies out of this site, many, many silver coins and lots of tokens.

I have another great site we found last year and it is our Happy Trails site. We are still hunting this site and have taken lots and lots of silver and wheat's out of this site.

HH all and remember to keep the coil to the soil, Ringfinder

Attachments

• schoolhouse.jpg
    schoolhouse.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 318
  • date on school 1887.jpg
    date on school 1887.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 328

aarremaanalla

Feb 12, 2006
Matejko said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
Hi.

I prefer wildlife. ;D

Places to hunt.
By Matejko.

My best places in Poland. :)

Pozdrawiam Matejko

Pozdrawiam Pozdrawiam :D

Absolutely beautiful and stunning looking nature you have there! I would love hunt those areas. I can feel the breeze of wind when metaldetecting in silence on those spots. Awesome places.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It is amazing looking at the places we like to hunt. I see a lot of the usual spots still produce great finds. Parks, schools, farms, amusement parks, beaches, old homesteads, etc.

I hope to see some more unusual types of places added as time goes on.

Good Hunting!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Neil in West Jersey said:
It is a ghost town (more of a ghost street) with about 8 houses and an old school house, located in West Trenton, NJ. The state owns the property, in the shadow of what was once called the New Jersey State Lunatic Asylum.

State owned property tells me, I need to come down there to do some detecting and bottle digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread