What is the best saltwater beach and sand scoop to get and where?

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I finally received my first metal detector today. I bought a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II with 2 coils and the Garrett $127 Pro Pointer. Let's just say that one of the dealers from this forum sold me all of this for less than everyone else is selling just a 1 coil Garrett Sea Hunter. I am so glad I listened to everyone on these forums. I will be salt water beach hunting around St. Petersburg to Key West for the next 4 months.
My question is what salt water scoop to buy? I have seen the $189 Stealth's and everything below that price listed on Ebay and on this forum. I really want one that will be good in the ocean up to my waist and then on the dry and wet sand. Do I need to buy two different scoops? Where would you recommend buying this? The gentlemen I bought the metal detector from has some scoops, I just want to know what is the best one.

Thank You for all your advice.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't listen to anyone on not buying a PI for your first detector. You bought one anyway.

Your choices are many, though I use the Stealth and for the surf your going to need the larger basket to get the target on the first scoop before all the sand fills in the hole again.
http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with a PI machine for your first machine. Hope you don't get discouraged with digging tiny pieces of garbage.
Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
As far as a long handle scoop, My partner built a bunch because we were sick of breaking all the other models we purchased. I will try to get a pic for you.
The one Sandman is talking about is one of the best you can get (In my opinion)
Gary G.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let em discourage you -- they dig just as much trash. You'll just be doing it without having to listen to outer space noises and finding what they missed. :icon_pirat:

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
You didn't listen to anyone on not buying a PI for your first detector. You bought one anyway.

Your choices are many, though I use the Stealth and for the surf your going to need the larger basket to get the target on the first scoop before all the sand fills in the hole again.
http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

Sandman I am with you on both your topics of this post. I hope he does not get burned out fast. I have been thinking about a PI, but keep backing out. I have great luck with my Excal 1000.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camb, I sometimes used a PI when I was younger and it wore me out even then. Maybe he'll get lucky since everyone else dug up all those hairpins. The time you would have spent digging deep holes with a PI was better spent sweeping that Excal.

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
no matter what scoop you get I would start working the wet sand just above the surf line , stay out of the water for a while ,so you can see what you are doing. Wet sand is very heavy, dump the sand on the beach and spread it out with your foot ... lots of great videos here. Your area is loaded with broken crab pots (coated steel) and sparkler wires. So glad I bought a used PI and didn't pay much for it. To much digging for an old man. Next detector is a Fisher cz 21.

Burl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread