What is the Best Tool For Digging in Rocky Compacted Shorelines? (Image)

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This stuff is a nightmare to dig in. Any ideas?

The area about 7 feet from the actual water is not too bad because it's wet but any farther away from the water it forms into a dense compacted mix of rocks and limestone which cements everything together.

Lake_Travis_Beach,_Texas..JPG

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small hand pick or mattock?

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This stuff is a nightmare to dig in. Any ideas?

The area about 7 feet from the actual water is not too bad because it's wet but any farther away from the water it forms into a dense compacted mix of rocks and limestone which cements everything together.

View attachment 1597918

two words for you get a Bunks Hermit pick they are a beast or a Bunks Burro pick I use a hermit pick all the time

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean one of these? That is sweet and exactly what I am looking for! Is that prong strong? Can you pry up rocks without it bending?

pick.jpg

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You mean one of these? That is sweet and exactly what I am looking for! Is that prong strong? Can you pry up rocks without it bending?

View attachment 1598698

Thats the one and yes that spike is stout just be careful and do not fall on that spike because you will be spending the night in the emergency room

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the one and yes that spike is stout just be careful and do not fall on that spike because you will be spending the night in the emergency room

Yea... i can imagine stepping on that thing. They should make it bright orange. That could also come in mega handy for self defense if anyone tries hamstring you while you're detecting. It looks like a weapon from the 15th century.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea... i can imagine stepping on that thing. They should make it bright orange. That could also come in mega handy for self defense if anyone tries hamstring you while you're detecting. It looks like a weapon from the 15th century.

I have fallen while detecting with my Hermit Pick and it is the first thing I threw away as I was going down went head over heels but walked away bruised if I had fallen on that spike I don't know if I would have walked away I usually carry it with that spike pointed towards the ground and never over my shoulder I hunt alone in pretty remote areas and have often thought it would make a heck of a defensive tool if needed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread