WHAT IS THE BEST UNDER WATER DETECTOR FOR $600

Eljeef

Greenie
Apr 26, 2005
The elephant's snout.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Fisher Aquanaut 1280x, White's Coinmaster 6000
Hello. I have a Fisher 1280x Aquanaut that I use for water hunting. I paid $600 canadian dollars for it six years ago used and it still works like new. I have never tried it in salt water but I have used it on land in a farm field above salt mines. Other detectors couldn't handle the salt in the area but the 1280x worked great. Good luck, Eljeef.

B

BEACH DIGGER

i have the new sea hunter mark II PI,, it works well.. a good PI for the money $ 599.

HH BCH, DIGGER

downeysc

Greenie
Jul 11, 2008
DeRidder
Detector(s) used
1280X/eagleII 1989
you may have bought one by now, but I use the 1280, great for almost all detecting, if your ear is good. But for saltwater I would look at a PI, not $600, but you can pay for it shortly. east coast from South of DelRay to above Boynton. More rings/scoop than any La beach. happy hunting. :D

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
Hi:
with local ponds & lakes, it sounds like your going to be doing inland water mostly and in that case any of the vlf detectors like the 1280x, which allows you to eliminate some of the junk ( bottlecaps, nails, iron, etc ) would do the job and you can even get by with it if your just visiting the ocean beach on holidays. The pulse detectors ( like the Surfmaster Pro ) are better for salt water, but without much discrimination, they can drive you nuts on junky inland beaches.

terry

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are doing mainly freshwater, then strongly consider the Tiger Shark. They are great finding gold and jewelry.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you posted in the spring you probably have a water detector by now.
The pulse detectors ( like the Surfmaster Pro ) are better for salt water, but without much discrimination, they can drive you nuts on junky inland beaches.

I've used many water detectors for fresh and saltwater and since bobby pins can last decades in fresh water I would have to recommend a VLF with good discrimination abilities. The Fisher 1280 is turn on and go and built like a tank. The Tiger Shark is also a top water machine that I use as a back up to my Excal and CZ20.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
in that price range ya cant beat the Tiger Shark! it will work fresh water or salt,built well ,you can change coils and head phones and has a lifetime warranty!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Hands down in my opinion, for underwater use, is the Garrette Sea Hunter Mk II. Easy to use, easy battery replacement(AA's), long battery life, simple discrimination, deep seeking, rugged, and more......

I would put it up against any on the market for that price. The only one I hold in higher regard is the Auqascan, but its 2-3 times the money.

Robert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread