What is the most amount of halves people here have spent once at a place?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Just out of curiousity. People here complain about dumping but what is the most amount of halves people have spent at once and at what place? This might provide a good place for ideas about getting rid of unwanted halves.

I remember 7 years ago, I bought a fax machine at Fry's Electronics and paid part of it with $80 in rolled halves. Other part in debit card. Big stores seem to ok with that but they had to ask their manager about the coins. Most of the employees at Fry's up in the SF BayArea are foreign and haven't seen halves before. I try to use halves as much as possible.

I really want to use a bunch to pay off my medical bills in halves to really show them what a rip off the medical care system and bills are. Also pay in hand rolled paper rolls, they might think that they have been in someone's estate for a long time instead of the bank rolls they came in. Some of the employees might be inclined to keep some of them instead of them all going back to the bank.

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didnt Obediah pay his taxes a week ago with halves, something like $800? I personally use on things less than $10. Hate carrying them around in my pocket.

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
If you buy anything at Amazon.com, overstock.com, CVS Pharmacy, etc you can pay for this with halves by turning them in at a coinstar machine and it is free.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
Most of the employees at Fry's up in the SF BayArea are foreign
We have that problem too here in SoCa. I go to the Fry's a mile from me and i think I am at a 7-11 employee convention. ::)

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
funny all this came up. i am trying to find out which merchants do business with my current dump bank. i was going to spend as much halves as i can with them so they will end up at my dump bank. this bank is continuing to give me trouble. they started making me buy my own plastic bags and charge me 3.00 per bag when i dump. i will find out this week where my utility company's bank is and if it is at this bank i will drop a couple of hundred in halves a month on them. walmart here acts as their own bank (have pick up and delivery from loomis) so my plan wont work with them.
Anyone else have any ideas on how i can pester this bank?

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
AGCoinHunter said:
Didnt Obediah pay his taxes a week ago with halves, something like $800? I personally use on things less than $10. Hate carrying them around in my pocket.

Yeup but only had %795 worth to dump when paid my $803 Property tax bill- of course paid it at a local bank, the first 3 Banks refused to accept them for payment though the third cause it did not have a Machine counter for loose ones but sent me to a Branch that did.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rsc said:
a room @ the Del Coronado in San Diego.
See any ghosts while you were there? Nice hotel, I would love to metal detect around that old place. Tiny rooms and (so they say) ghosts ;D

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
$150 in halves for a stay at Hotel del Coronado? I used live in SD, great place. Hopefully I can move back one day. My avatar pic is of Mission Beach & Pacific Beach. I don't think I'd have the guts to pay that much in halves. It'd be great for a contest to see what it the largest amount for using halves for purchases and getting away with it.

Did Obediah really pay $800 in halves? I just can't imagine it or picture it. Hope it was rolled. Obediah, tell us the story if you're reading this.

Gonna go pay some medical bills next time in halves. When they ask me about why the halves, I'm gonna tell them that "I'm upset that I have use my saved coin collection to pay for overpriced medical bills and it would be a shame to return them to a bank. I was going to save them for another twenty years since it took me years to get this many." I think that's a good excuse. I'm going the sympathy route to get people to let me use halves and hopefully they'll think that they're valuable enough that they will hoard them for the next twenty years themselves and not return them to the bank.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
funny all this came up. i am trying to find out which merchants do business with my current dump bank. i was going to spend as much halves as i can with them so they will end up at my dump bank. this bank is continuing to give me trouble. they started making me buy my own plastic bags and charge me 3.00 per bag when i dump. i will find out this week where my utility company's bank is and if it is at this bank i will drop a couple of hundred in halves a month on them. walmart here acts as their own bank (have pick up and delivery from loomis) so my plan wont work with them.
Anyone else have any ideas on how i can pester this bank?

I have noticed when I spend my halves at any restaurants or gas stations close to certain banks, the next week they have a few halves. I am sure they use this bank to do their deposit with. Could pay for gas/food and let the merchant "dump" them on the bank.

2Cents

Nov 4, 2009
California
Halves are easy enough to buy stuff with under $5. I always keep some in my car for the drive thru. I'd use them for Coinstar when I buy stuff from Amazon but that's how I like to get rid of my zincolns.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
SFBayArea said:
Did Obediah really pay $800 in halves? I just can't imagine it or picture it. Hope it was rolled. Obediah, tell us the story if you're reading this.

He didn't spend them as you may think at a retail establishment, it was to pay a tax bill through a financial institution and they just ran them through the coin counter. I think that's the story. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
So $150 in halves for the stay at Hotel Del Coronado is the winner so far.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Well, if my mortgage doesn't count, then I'll claim the prize by paying $3k at an auction house. They put up a gruff as they wanted me to pay via credit card, but I didn't want to pay the increased Buyers Premium (13 % vs. 10%). They ended up taking them. Best part is the auction house was in a different district than my supply. If that doesn't count, then my $790 that I dumped on Kellyco in their showroom surely must.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Diver_Down said:
Well, if my mortgage doesn't count, then I'll claim the prize by paying $3k at an auction house. They put up a gruff as they wanted me to pay via credit card, but I didn't want to pay the increased Buyers Premium (13 % vs. 10%). They ended up taking them. Best part is the auction house was in a different district than my supply. If that doesn't count, then my $790 that I dumped on Kellyco in their showroom surely must.

What did you get from Kellyco directly from the showroom?

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend 50 bucks in halves to fill my tank at the local gas station. I use halves to buy coffee and lottery tickets daily. If I need things in the drug store or grocery store, I will spend halves also. I doubt they get put in circulation, I bet they just get deposited. When I worked at a gas station, the cash drawer had no space for halves, Ikes, Susan B.'s and Two Dollar bills, I would dump them on customers to get rid of them, some refused, some were happy to get them. I never had a huge amount of oddball currency dumped on me though. Gas was under a buck a gallon then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions