What is the worst you were ever shorted?

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I opened up a box of halves today and noticed one roll was waaayyy low in the box. Hmmm - what's this I thought. I pull out the roll and it is about half the normal size. Yup - the roll had $5 missing in it. Anyone seen a worse shorted roll in a fully taped "new" box around here? It could have been worse as it wasn't a skunk box. I pulled one 64 and five 40%. So I still made out ok....I guess :icon_scratch: - so - what is your record for getting shorted. I'm thinking about full boxes, but I guess it applies to all our sources.

Maine_Jim

Upvote 0

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Never really checked. I open a roll, search it, replace any keepers and reroll. If I rec'd it short, it goes back short. Bank has never questioned my dumps.

My son counts them and actually found one roll with two extra once.

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I had a 2 layer box that was short 3 rolls on the bottom about 8 months ago. I explained it to the bank and understood that although I knew they could not do anything because I had left the premises, they should check on the crooks who supply the boxes and that I would open all future boxes in front of them. It happened 1 more time, but only 1 roll short and after the bank actually saw it, I think they spoke with the supply service and I have not seen it happen since. I still get the random roll that is short 1-3 coins and the even rarer roll that has an extra 1 or 2. HH all.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I was cutting a watermelon once outside on the grass while holding it in my lap. I was using a long slender knife, and it was hard to get it throught he watermelon. So I pushed it real hard. Then it slipped! I was "shorted" by ... well, you don't wanna know.

;D

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Don't really count them, nothing has stood out but once did get in one Box 3 British pennies dated 1910, 17, and 60.

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
jrf30 said:
I was cutting a watermelon once outside on the grass while holding it in my lap. I was using a long slender knife, and it was hard to get it throught he watermelon. So I pushed it real hard. Then it slipped! I was "shorted" by ... well, you don't wanna know.

;D

Lmao, good one Jeff ;D... ouch shorted Lorena Bobbit style .

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never shorted a full roll. But one time 7 coins were missing. I showed the roll to two tellers and later got refund. But the manager only ordered me 1 k instead of 2K after that. I wonder if it had something to do with the 7 coins.

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
That's funny Jeff - I've nipped my finger a couple times opening the rolls with my knife. Usually happens when I'm on the highway - I'll be slicing open the rolls and I've usually had about twenty straight skunk rolls and I am not paying attention to business... :o

Maine_Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
One of my last boxes I was shorted 3$ in half dollars. I am not sure how it can happen but I opened a sealed box and one of the rolls was ripped open and halves were missing. First time it has happened.

Golden silver

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
The other day I had a "first" happen to me. All machine rolls in a sealed box. Ended up with 3 dimes in three different half rolls, one Susan B, and one roll was a little taller, sure enough two extra halves. Made $2.30 extra that day! Plus I got a good assortment of silver.

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
was shorted an entire roll one time and on another occasion i found a roll that looked flat in the middle. when i opened the roll the coin in the center of the roll was standing straight up instead of sideways causing the roll to be short by the number of coins it takes to equal the diameter of a half. didn't count it to see how short it was. just checked the edges, did a sound check, put that short roll in the dump pile and kept on going. never saw that again. have any of you guys ever seen this?

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Nope - never seen the coin on the side like that. I once got a roll that had a watch battery in it! Picked up $200 in hand rolls yesterday and got a bunch of cents. A few of them were 50s wheaties....

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread