What is this kind of coin error called?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bunch of coins from Canada that I I know very little about. when I take pictures of them and then flip them over the same way ones upside down in the ones right side up is that like an inverted something or another? Every single one flips right side up when you flip it over except for one is upside down when you flip it over. These are both from 1852. Showing a picture of the front and back.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485919606.151679.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485919662.844411.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485919632.253456.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485919632.253456.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 97

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
They are called coins with Rotated Dies and unless it was intended to be struck that way, then the one on the left I believe is rotated approximately 180 degrees. Of course I could be wrong and the one on the right is the one with the rotated Die as I do not keep up much on Canadian coins. There are some country's coins that are right side up when flipped and other country's coins that aren't. I am sure someone will know which way Canadian coins are oriented Obverse to Reverse and if there was a time when they were different.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much. I have 8 of them that are right side up when you flip them over the same way and one of them is upside down. With my luck it's probably worth $10 but I just thought I would ask on here. Thank you again!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much. I have 8 of them that are right side up when you flip them over the same way and one of them is upside down. With my luck it's probably worth $10 but I just thought I would ask on here. Thank you again!

Most coins with 180 degree Rotated Dies are usually worth a lot more than a mere $10, just check on eBay for coins that have sold that had/have Rotated Dies.

Frank

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canada coins are struck in "medal" orientation so flipping left to right they are both upright images. US coins are coin orientation so flipping left to right has opposing image up side down. most coin sites use 2 arrows up for "medal" and 1 arrow up & 1 arrow down for "coin" orientation. many foreign coins are struck in "medal". when a dug coin is corroded the determination of orientation is critical to ID'ing features on both sides to know what type of coin you have. coinsandcanada.com shows all their coins dating to 1858 and how they were struck

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Canada coins are struck in "medal" orientation so flipping left to right they are both upright images. US coins are coin orientation so flipping left to right has opposing image up side down. most coin sites use 2 arrows up for "medal" and 1 arrow up & 1 arrow down for "coin" orientation. many foreign coins are struck in "medal". when a dug coin is corroded the determination of orientation is critical to ID'ing features on both sides to know what type of coin you have. coinsandcanada.com shows all their coins dating to 1858 and how they were struck

Good website, thanks! I still haven't found any info on Obverse to Reverse orientation but I will continue to check out the website and links on it.

Frank

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
These tokens are known to come with both up/up and up/down die axis depending on where they were minted. Royal Mint or Heaton Mint. There is not a significant difference in value.

This is from the Charlton Canadian Colonial Tokens 9th ed. - it is a worthwhile reference book to have :)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 152
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 87

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Crap, didn't see that one coming!!

I know things can vary from location to location but that's nuts. (IMO) ...Maybe their brains were temporarily frozen at the time?? :tongue3::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread