old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say, but with the greenish color it may be copper ore.

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.. TJE...is it magnetic? I have one that sounds sort of like yours and have had it for years, it makes a compass move. I think mine is a mixture of several things because of volcanic activity. I'll post a pic for you...it also greenish with a rust look, but think the "rust" is maybe a "jasper" additive? DSCN2000.JPG DSCN2063.JPG DSCN2061.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ck, no magnetism...or very little, never tried a compass though. Is yours looking solid green on the interior?

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...yes, green and kind of shiny. What is the rust stuff in your like? Is it really rust? If so maybe meteor...wouldn't that be nice! old digger may be right on the copper ore thing to....maybe you should post on some meteor site just in case?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna have to invest in a good camera. Gettin sick of my crappy pics! HA! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...yes, green and kind of shiny. What is the rust stuff in your like? Is it really rust? If so maybe meteor...wouldn't that be nice! old digger may be right on the copper ore thing to....maybe you should post on some meteor site just in case?
It looks like rust...but may have to split into it and see if it carrys on inside...I don't think it's Olivine (green meteorite crystal).

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does yours have some burnt looking places like mine does? They do have a lot in common......you should try the compass thing and see if it moves. Oh, that smaller rock in my pic is very magnetic & heavy, was wondering about meteorite on that one!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does yours have some burnt looking places like mine does? They do have a lot in common......you should try the compass thing and see if it moves. Oh, that smaller rock in my pic is very magnetic & heavy, was wondering about meteorite on that one!
Somewhat darker in areas. Have you done a 'streak test' on ceramic with yours? (a few home tests) can be done to give a better idea.

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes have done that...that little one leaves no streak. The one like yours does leave a streak, trying to remember what color, think a slight grey? Will have to do again, does yours? Getting late, logging off.....later :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes have done that...that little one leaves no streak. The one like yours does leave a streak, trying to remember what color, think a slight grey? Will have to do again, does yours? Getting late, logging off.....later :)
Yes, streaks as well, have to do dremmel grinding to see inside I'd say.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one has stumped me since found 2-3 yrs. ago. In behind the rust its dark green, solid and heavy, pressure/heat lines , 13 inches around, on one side it looks melted flat and smoothish...Anybody know?
thanks.

Not sure what you might have. To even try to identify, we need a clean surface. From the outside it looks to be a hunk a hematite. But I think you have a rock or mineral that has a hematitic outer crust. T

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what you might have. To even try to identify, we need a clean surface. From the outside it looks to be a hunk a hematite. But I think you have a rock or mineral that has a hematitic outer crust. T
Thanks BTB, after some pic searches I think it's malachite/azurite. Believe old diggers copper/ore was correct.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper and copper ore tends to oxidize to a greenish color, and if you took a small piece of it see if it is malleable. But if it is an Olivine type of crystal then you have your self a whole different type of rock.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper and copper ore tends to oxidize to a greenish color, and if you took a small piece of it see if it is malleable. But if it is an Olivine type of crystal then you have your self a whole different type of rock.

I agree with old digger. Copper and copper ores tend to oxidize to a greenish color. With this specimen we have a hematite coating. Now under that hemtitic coating it could be a Copper ore, but to properly identify this specimen we need to see a clean surface.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree old digger:) Speaking of Olivine...remember my post in Meteorites forum last year...samples I had tested came back as "Olivine, Pyroxene, possible Acicular Plagioclase"...and after a quick research I did, it read.."Mars Meteorites major minerals are Pyroxenes, Olivine and Plagioclase"!! That's why I will eventually, get a more complete study done!! ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with old digger. Copper and copper ores tend to oxidize to a greenish color. With this specimen we have a hematite coating. Now under that hemtitic coating it could be a Copper ore, but to properly identify this specimen we need to see a clean surface.
Agree as well BTB, will/hope to show it tonight or tomorrow. Thanks Again! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....this is getting interesting....I'll be waiting and watching to see what happens! lol Those guys (old digger & Brian) are good help, helped me...:)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread