What is this stuff?

tiggerd100

Jun 19, 2013
I have found this numerous times just not quite sure what it is. Found in southeast Kansas where everything is limestone. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535316783.323317.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535316807.104190.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535316819.689106.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535316834.870884.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535316852.756642.jpg

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First 2 look more like Petrified Wood to me..
Nice finds..

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Petrified wood.

OP
OP
tiggerd100

tiggerd100

Jun 19, 2013
@buck8point it’s a light honeycomb like structure not a heavy hard substance like petrified wood I could be wrong

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Top 2 are petrified wood, bottom could be sponge , fungus , think mushroom.

Last edited:

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@buck8point it’s a light honeycomb like structure not a heavy hard substance like petrified wood I could be wrong

Couldnt tell from the pics how many pieces there was there.
1 and 2 look like the same piece, im guessing, and those resemble petrified wood.
3,4,5 look like a different piece of something different, maybe like possibly a fossilized coral maybe.
If all 5 pics are of the same piece, then i still think it may be PW.

OP
OP
tiggerd100

tiggerd100

Jun 19, 2013
There are 2 different pieces in my photos here, all the same material. There were pounds of this in different sizes all along the banks. It’s definitely fossilized something or other my first guess was some type of coral I highly doubt it’s wood of any kind.

OP
OP
tiggerd100

tiggerd100

Jun 19, 2013
It’s certainly rock very hard but almost a hollow structure to it in some places

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I see what you are saying..
Looked again really close, at the first 2 pics and looks like they are comprised of multiples of tubules that are bunched together and running in one general direction, which to me is exactly what one would expect to see in a wood section, or maybe even palm wood, or some other ancient woody plant. and the way some of the breaks look exactly how wood would break to me anyways..
it may be light and seem hollow because the mineral that replaced the actual tissues may be lighter, and since the tubules are seemingly hollow, you end up with only half the weight than if it was solid.
Anyways thats my best evaluation from seeing pics and not putting hands on.
Nice pieces nonetheless.

OP
OP
tiggerd100

tiggerd100

Jun 19, 2013
Ok I see what you are saying..
Looked again really close, at the first 2 pics and looks like they are comprised of multiples of tubules that are bunched together and running in one general direction, which to me is exactly what one would expect to see in a wood section, or maybe even palm wood, or some other ancient woody plant. and the way some of the breaks look exactly how wood would break to me anyways..
it may be light and seem hollow because the mineral that replaced the actual tissues may be lighter, and since the tubules are seemingly hollow, you end up with only half the weight than if it was solid.
Anyways thats my best evaluation from seeing pics and not putting hands on.
Nice pieces nonetheless.

Thanks for the input buck, I actually dug a little deeper and figured it out. Chaetetes sponges. Never thought about it being a sponge. Now I know.

OP
OP
tiggerd100

tiggerd100

Jun 19, 2013
Top 2 are petrified wood, bottom could be sponge , fungus , think mushroom.

All the pieces were the same material. Definitely sponge. Just figured it out online, never thought about sponges. Thanks for the input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread