OP
T

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Re: what is this

bigcypresshunter said:
I think this is solvable. It has been found by several members. The only thing that may be keeping the interest down on this object is the poor pictures. It would help if we had some clearer pics including closeups of the writing.

I'll try for some better pics tomorrow in the daylight but dont know my cheap cam isnt good at closeups even on macro may have to wait till I can get to my buddys house and use his good cam. The piece I found I cannot make out any patent no. I was going off the patent No. from the one Looker found witch is identical to mine but in better shape

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I understand. Most modern cameras do not take good closeups because the camera body needs to be made larger. Something about the distance from the Macro lens. Thats why the older digital cameras are good for closeups.

Some modern cameras have the flower icon but its a fake. No macro lens.

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good research on finding the Patent Bramblefind :icon_thumright:

I think the guesses are pretty close. My limited German translation would translate it to:

Combined pencil and pen holder.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Breezie said:
It's a Victorian (1860's) fire/burgler alarm. Ropes going to pulleys went through the hole, and when the rope was cut or burned, it would hit a bell to warn of the fire.
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=FD8AAAAAEBAJ
Breezie
It was worth a try searching US patents but I dont see a match. We believe its a German patent number. D.R.P. (Deutsches Reichspatent) German Patent no. 50863. That means it holds a german design patent from prior to May 1945.

Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

I beg to differ with ya on fake macro on some camera's . I get excellent super macro photos of my stuff with my Fuji S2000HD camera. Ya just have to know what you're doing. Go look at some of my macro pics on "daily snapshot" you may have to go back to last year, as I have not posted any this year yet. My super-macro allows me to get so close to the object that it is almost touching the lens, and I get great shots, just have to add some side lighting. Also when in macro, it is best to use a tripod. Your blood coursing through your hands will provide enuff shake to blur the pics.....NGE

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

taz42o said:
Breezie said:
It's a Victorian (1860's) fire/burgler alarm. Ropes going to pulleys went through the hole, and when the rope was cut or burned, it would hit a bell to warn of the fire.
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=FD8AAAAAEBAJ
Breezie
That has been suggested but that is an American patent.
D.R.P 50863 is a pre-war German patent number.

Whether it was patented by the Germans or the Americans was really not my point; I was just ID-ing the item, and gave the patent website to show a pic of the item. After looking at the patent pic, it reminded me of some of the old cartoons where 25 different things depended on the movement of the object in front of it to get to the end result . . . LOL . . I think the kids in the movie Goonies did the same thing. ;D Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio

more pics

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 954
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 979
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 948
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 961
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 947
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 947
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio

and more

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 937
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 945
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 938
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 940
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 932
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 923
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio

Sorry Breezie didnt mean to sound ungrateful for your help but started to reply then had to rush out for a few so just kinda made it short and to the point. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

nowgittineverything said:
I beg to differ with ya on fake macro on some camera's . I get excellent super macro photos of my stuff with my Fuji S2000HD camera. Ya just have to know what you're doing. Go look at some of my macro pics on "daily snapshot" you may have to go back to last year, as I have not posted any this year yet. My super-macro allows me to get so close to the object that it is almost touching the lens, and I get great shots, just have to add some side lighting. Also when in macro, it is best to use a tripod. Your blood coursing through your hands will provide enuff shake to blur the pics.....NGE
Some cameras cannot take good closeups. I am not referring to your Fuji. :icon_scratch:

Some cameras have a flower icon but in reality do not have a Macro lens. Your Fuji obviously does not fall into this category.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Sorry Breeze. I removed my post. I just dont see the match. The only match is the patent numbers.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

taz42o said:
Sorry Breezie didnt mean to sound ungrateful for your help but started to reply then had to rush out for a few so just kinda made it short and to the point. Thanks.
Oh, Shugar, no need to apologize; I knew whatcha meant. ;D Breezie

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bigcypresshunter said:
Still unsolved. Great new pics Taz.

BCH, why is it unsolved? It's a Victorian fire/burgler alarm. Ropes going to pulleys went through the hole, and when the rope was cut or burned, it would hit a bell to warn of the fire. That was not a guess on my part. ;D Even though the pic I found was to a U.S. patent, and not German, it still showed the item. Do you think we need to find the German patent to do a positive ID :dontknow: Breezie

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Still unsolved. Great new pics Taz.

BCH, why is it unsolved? It's a Victorian fire/burgler alarm. Ropes going to pulleys went through the hole, and when the rope was cut or burned, it would hit a bell to warn of the fire. That was not a guess on my part. ;D Even though the pic I found was to a U.S. patent, and not German, it still showed the item. Do you think we need to find the German patent to do a positive ID :dontknow: Breezie
I was afraid of this. Yes of course Breezie I think we need to search German patents because that is what it is. You wouldnt type a US patent number in a German patent search and expect to get a match. Breezie, you typed the German patent number DRP 50863 into a US patent search and you got the US patent 50863 fire alarm. The chances of a US patent item with the exact same number in a German patent would be Zillions to one. The odds would be almost impossible.

The US patent you pulled up with the same German number shows a picture that is way too small to see anyway. There is no match. Not solved. Maybe taz can help explain because I have been having trouble lately. :D

Do you have a better picture that the one I am posting? Where is the item?

Attachments

• patent burglar alarm.jpg
    patent burglar alarm.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 816
  • patent burglar alarm.jpg
    patent burglar alarm.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 806
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio

Even though I dont believe this item is part of a fire alarm { the main reasons being the patent # and the fact it makes no sense as a weight like item "K" in patent} i wanted to see a better picture of the ward and luce fire alarm. The early fire alarms im finding are hand crank telegraph alarms like the ones in link below, being used in mid 1800s at the time of ward and luce patent. Just because something was patented does not mean it was ever produced or used. Im thinking the ward and luce fire alarm may never have been produced or used.

http://www.cjow.com/archive/article.php?month=4&a=04Fire+Alarm+and+Police+Call+Boxes.htm&year=1988

Attachments

• lrg_firebox_pranks.jpg
    lrg_firebox_pranks.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 787
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Still unsolved.

Im not sure what you are thinking but maybe the possibility that we are misreading the DRP and it is not a German patent and is indeed a US patent number. :icon_scratch: Thats the only possibility I can think of because the German patent doesnt match conclusively either. Is this what you are thinking? Do we have a closeup of the numbers? Maybe we are one number off?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

taz42o said:
Even though I dont believe this item is part of a fire alarm { the main reasons being the patent # and the fact it makes no sense as a weight like item "K" in patent} i wanted to see a better picture of the ward and luce fire alarm. The early fire alarms im finding are hand crank telegraph alarms like the ones in link below, being used in mid 1800s at the time of ward and luce patent. Just because something was patented does not mean it was ever produced or used. Im thinking the ward and luce fire alarm may never have been produced or used.

http://www.cjow.com/archive/article.php?month=4&a=04Fire+Alarm+and+Police+Call+Boxes.htm&year=1988
Wow what a terrible invention. The person pulling the fire alarm would be trapped.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread