IMG_0459.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 445
Upvote 0

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
is it a small harpoon or fish spear, what ever it is it is a very cool artifact. :thumbsup: JYD...

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I can tell you what it is. It's "AWESOME". :icon_thumright:

I'll be watching this post to see the verdict.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Cool
I'm not sure on this either but would agree with Junkyard Dog about a harpoon of fish spear. maybe a frog gig. It's a cool find whatever it is.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
Cool
I'm not sure on this either but would agree with Junkyard Dog about a harpoon of fish spear. maybe a frog gig. It's a cool find whatever it is.

What they said?

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
That's easy Larson, it is the tool for removing the hook you found, from the fish they caught. :wink:
You beat all....great tool find!!!

BW

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks you guys
I still think we have not identified this properly
I am truly puzzled by tis piece

it is too weak to be a harpoon and with no clear water nearby it don't make no sense
I hope some one can come up with some more info
I am thinking it may be a child's toy
in the last 20 or so yrs we have found a few miniature toys such as 2 toy tomahawks or a few toy bows which were broken but easily identifiable

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Do the ends show any use or wear? I've seen a lot of bone harpoons from wet sites in the midwest that seem way too delicate for anything, but if they were made from green bone they had enough flex to avoid breakage (the same way bone fish hooks could hold a decent sized fish.)

What concerns me a bit, is that the prongs are set back pretty far, normally they are a little closer to the tip. Maybe it is unfinished and they were going to sharpen down one end?

I'm not sure where your site is, but if your any where near where the Heart or Knife rivers dump into the Missouri, it might be a Mandan harpoon. The Mandan indians were famous for harvesting river buffalo (not a myth, documented by many trappers/traders as well as artists like Catlin, and documented by other two members of the Three Affiliated tribes that looked down on them for it.) As soon as the ice started to break up, bison that broke through the ice and downed or died crossing the river, started to swell and float down stream. The Mandan would jump across on the ice flows, harpoon them and then work them back to shore. The trick was getting them in the neck or rump, to avoid deflating the belly and having them sink. They would get several hundred to shore, and then dry that much softer meat for long term use. (It isn't as bad as it sounds, quality dry aged beef is one of the most expensive steaks money can buy.)

Side note, my grand father came from North Dakota, if you ever meet anyone with the last name Bullinger they are a distant cousin of mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread