• back.JPG
    back.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 693

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Appears to be a Mexico minted 1/2 reale. Very blurry pics, either back up a little, or use a regular camera on macro. Cant really tell much from these pics. But yes, it is a cob.

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
Yes, definitely a Mexico half-real... The first two pics are of the cross side; shrunk down (see below), you can clearly see the lower L lion, much of the cross, and bits of the upper R lion and lower R castle. That lion style (walking zombie stick-figure) places it right around the early part of Philip V, from about 1701-14. It's remotely possible that this could be late Charles II (no earlier), but every lion style I've seen on a C. II half real is some variant of horizontal-situated rat-cat; have never seen the style of your piece NOT on Philip V. The planchet is the common "teardrop" shape of that late 1600's-early 1700's period.

Can't make anything out of the monogram side from that photo (the last pic is of that side)... there isn't much left there. Perhaps a clearer shot might allow you to see the vague outline of the monogram, which again, should be be Philip's PVS, with a small chance of it being Charles'.

Given the sea-corrosion and the date range, I'd assume this is from the 1715 Fleet.

Attachments

• reduced.jpg
    reduced.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 422
OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thank you so much for the info. I will see if I can get some better pics up here in the next day or so. Much appreciated you two! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread