What is this

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Went hunting for a while this afternoon. Found what I'm pretty sure is a dropped end field Minnie ball and I have no idea what this other thing is. I also found a two piece button with eagle that has an I in the shield. Any clues as to my finds please

image-2306186628.jpg

image-3812098302.jpg

OP
OP
absosecur

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
I will show the button when I get home tonight. I've been doing this since 1986 and rarely ever has this happened but it did yesterday with the button. I was dealing with surface roots and had not found a goodie yet so in haste I RUINED THE BUTTON !!!!!!!! Hit it with my shovel right across the face but it is old. It's not dark green as usual. It is whitish in color. Will post tonight.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. And yeah that is a shame. I ruined a nice military button with electrolosis once. A pewter one. It looks like grey ash now.

OP
OP
absosecur

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
I was thinking with the color that it might be pewter. I have never found a two piece pewter,do they exist. I think this button is cs.this is the best pic I can get for now.

image-466552237.jpg

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question.. all the pewter ones I have are one piece 1812-1830 ish. Second Seminole war artifacts. The Minnie should give you a date range. Is there any back mark visible? It seems to be green enough in the photo to have a higher copper content than pewter.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope thats a brass Union Infantry

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
nope thats a brass Union Infantry

Like I said higher copper content than pewter. "Brass" an alloy of copper and zink. I didn't think they made two piece pewter.

OP
OP
absosecur

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
I will clean up the back later today and see what I can find on it.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, brass button Union Infantry. The bullet looks to be an Enfield, The big brass piece you can post it on (what is it) and someone will know nice finds you need to hunt that spot low and slow digg all your hit and pull some more nice finds out of there. HH

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking some sort of finial on the first piece that you showed, And like er'body has said the second is a .577 enfield, Look in
the bottom and see if there is a 57 in it, the third is a "Yankee" Infantry Button.....Welcome to the "NET" the best Forum on the
Web..............................HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread