what is this?

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20140725_104720.jpg looks like quartz but very luminous needle like and twisted

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
As a form of Quartz, yes.. moreover it appears to be a section of a geode thou the color seems a bit off.. I would say that it might have faded or could be a smokey quartz geode section. Is it possible to explain or show better what colors are within this sample?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will try, having a hard time uploading pictures from my kindle. not sure if its my kindle or the website. keeps dropping me and have to log in again.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Try taking a pic or two with the rock sitting on a white table cloth or white cloth. The red table cloth tends to askew the true colors in the rock because of the reflection coming from it!

Frank

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A massive formation of quartz. What I generically call rock crystal. The individual crystals have formed into each other creating a solid piece that's whats called a massive form. Had there been a vug, an empty cavity, in conjunction with the crystal formation you would be able to see individual crystal points. You can sometimes get some gemmy stuff out of rock crystal but more often there is a lot of internal fracturing. The internal fractures and contact areas between the crystals make for very nice plays of light and appear luminous ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread