Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOLVED! What is this?

Unsure of what this is. Not sure if you can see from the photos, but it is a stone with what seems to be a carved bowl. Will upload more photos if necessary.

Found in a farm field along the Cowpasture River in Bath County, Virginia. I've found a decent amount of artifacts (mostly Woodland) in the immediate area of this discovery. All input appreciated.

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sort of concretion. Does it appear to have been deliberately ground?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes it appears to have been created with a purpose..meaning I don't think water caused this to happen. The grooves aren't all even and there isn't a single groove that runs around the entire bowl. There is some kind of red residue on the lip, but if it were used for paint I would think that residue would also be in the bowl itself.

Sawmill--was considering the same thing, but then I found myself wondering how unstable of a base that little rock would be.

Also, the bowl is more V-shaped than U-shaped.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It might be a "thunderhead". When Indians used a bow drill they used a rock on top of the spindle to steady it. The wood spindle eventually makes an indentation. Just a guess. Gary

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses guys!

Joshuaream--I think you hit the nail on the head! I have also dug fossils in the area and it would make perfect sense for this piece to be exactly what you suggest!

Mystery solved! Huzzah!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread