Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got this in my change today...good shape for a 46, but it looks cracked. What do you think?, is this worth getting slabbed?
008.JPG 011.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know Dave. I'd think it is a flaw in the stamping/planchette versus later damage. The crack on the front is much longer than the crack on the back. What's a nickel anyway? I'd slab it :)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That nickel has been damaged post mint. Those are cuts not cracks.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
E....Thanks, w/ all due respect, these aint cuts

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That nickel has been cut into. If it was like that when struck the voids would have been filled in due to pressure. I has been cut at an angle. Maybe Matthew will weigh in soon.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know...it is pretty clean, like it has been held onto and not spent for a super long time

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know...it is pretty clean, like it has been held onto and not spent for a super long time

That doesn't matter. Someone could have pulled it from circulation in 1948, tested a sharp object or saw on it, and put it in that coin jar and forgot about it. That's what I think happened. The crack looks like an incision, especially on the obverse, with the raised metal on the angle of the cut and the cutaway on the rim at the point on incision.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I should be :laughing7: or :BangHead: right now.

BigWaveDave, it's an error, not damage, you are correct. Cracked planchet, likely cracked post strike as a result of a crappy alloy mix with impurities in it. Interesting example, put that sucker in a 2x2. Nice find.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead, send it in and prove us wrong. No money outa my pocket. Let us know the results.
HH
enamel7

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if I should be :laughing7: or :BangHead: right now.

BigWaveDave, it's an error, not damage, you are correct. Cracked planchet, likely cracked post strike as a result of a crappy alloy mix with impurities in it. Interesting example, put that sucker in a 2x2. Nice find.

I agree! Cracked Planchet or Split Planchet whichever you want to call it, although Split Planchet normally refers to an entire separation of part of the thickness of the Planchet. I would say that the Planchet was cracked before striking and the pressure exerted during the striking (minting) process caused the crack to open a little more.

Frank

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead, send it in and prove us wrong. No money outa my pocket. Let us know the results.
HH
enamel7

Why? It's not worth certifying. But it's a real error. Feel free to not believe me if you want to, but I know what I'm talking about. I've handled plenty of error coins, more than most, I'm sure. OP, if you want to be 100% sure it's real, drop a message to Fred Weinberg (You can google his email address) and I'm sure he'll confirm it's a cracked planchet, or maybe something fancier.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just responding to the original question. He wanted to know if it was worth getting slabbed.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back... I got a dealer who owes me a solid on a side job I did for him a while back...He is however not too quick on things like this, so it may take a while. Slab-worthy? I think..why not?!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the reason why not would be if the cost of slabbing is more than the value of the coin. For instance I would never send a 1998 wam in circulated condition to be slabbed.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a coincidence, is it compromised on the side and back as well?

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% planchet crack a true error my friend congrats. To get a little more in depth if it was to have been cut it most surely would be straight and not in a zig zag line also it would have removed far more material.

Here is another example strikingly similar.

1922_%241_Peace_Dollar--Cracked_Planchet_-AU55_NGC._Reverse_closeup.jpg

1922_%241_Peace_Dollar--Cracked_Planchet_at_9o%27clock--AU55_NGC._Obverse_Slab.jpg

1921_%241_Morgan_PCGS_50_Cracked_Planchet_Obv_Rev_2.jpg

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with a cracked planchett. If it was deliberately cut post mint, it would look more "cut into" and less look like a clean fracture under the surface of the coin. If it looked like the fracture was more defined and started from the extreme surface, then it would probably be cut.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% planchet crack a true error my friend congrats. To get a little more in depth if it was to have been cut it most surely would be straight and not in a zig zag line also it would have removed far more material.

Here is another example strikingly similar.

Well then I stand corrected. When I'm wrong I say so. My apologies. Nice find! I would have thought the pressure of the dies would have compressed the crack.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread