Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was running in combined ,fast, sens auto + 3, target trace on and off,relic mode, ferrous coin, noise cancel done few times, 6 inch coil,open screen on one and switched to screen with right hand lower corner knocked out. We were digging today in heavy iron and I was using the 6 inch coil to look for targets as we went down and I kept getting all this high toning on iron is that normal> it was nails old ones. I spent more time chasing false signals than I wanted to. Whats up with that ? Is that how the 30/30 acts in heavy iron?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't run a 3030 but I've noticed all the detectors I've ever used will hit on pieces of heavily rusted (oxidized) iron because the rusted iron looses it's ferrous (magnetic) properties as it deteriorates. I've also noticed that bent square nails are good at tricking detectors as well. It may sound strange but simply bending a piece of metal can effect it's magnetic properties, thus effecting how it effects a magnetic field.

Sometimes physics can be weird.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand completely but this was pretty bad, I use another high end detector too and it acts different in the heavy iron just wondering if thats normal for the 30/30 to false on iron like that.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my Safari those high tones come when the iron passes the outer edge of the coil, can drive you nuts but I can tell it's iron when I go to pinpoint and the target is way off center of where it should be. Hope this helps do not know if it holds true with the 3030....

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for got add that it's especially happens with my 6" coil...

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
High toning on nails is a common occurrence. Elongated iron with sharp bends and/or narrow pointy iron points (tip and head) are spots for conductive eddies. The magnetic properties of a nail give an opposite response to the eddy response - so nails are especially schizophrenic. So, elongated iron and nails have a split personality. Depending on the angle the magnetic field hits (sweep approach) nails can tilt toward conductive and ping high or ferrous and ping low; all while moving the coil a tiny bit in either direction.

All I can say is that the high ping on the CTX is recognizable as a nail even though it is bothersome (and tiresome to the ears). It isn't the same as the non-ferrous hit on a coin. You can Disc out the upper-right area to quiet down the high nail pings. Too much Disc and you'll lose sensitivity and target separation of non-ferrous hidden in the nail fields; but a little is OK for me if it preserves audio sanity.

-Jackalope

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info and tips. seems like it is worse with the six inch coil too . quote (All I can say is that the high ping on the CTX is recognizable as a nail even though it is bothersome ) yeah thats where im having trouble ,I can recognize it on the deus most the time but the ctx really just baffles me with the audio when in the heavy iron, I mean I can tell when it locks on a good target no mistaking it but when I get those iffys that could be a coin hiding in the iron I just come up empty.

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my CTX3030 this year and have been having the same issue when using the stock or large coil, I don't have the 6 inch yet. Never had this problem with my e-trac and it is very frustrating. Someone else already mentioned they can tell more about the signal once they go into pinpoint and I have to agree. Although I frustrate myself because I will still dig the target anyways to make sure I'm not passing on something good.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded mine off in my style of hunting (relic hunting) there is no place for that in my arsenal. I felt like I was wasting time analzying targets and chasing false signals. Im being very honest the deus is not like that it doesnt false like that. I love the tones on the ctx but not the falsing I put it in a box and shipped it to viginia to a guy who wanted to give it a try.For relics the deus is a way better option imo. Guys will say I didnt give it enough time I didnt need to give it anymore time falsing on nails like there silver coins was a deal breaker for me. 6 inch coil seemed worse. BTW im on the forums all the time and read alot on different machines and I have learned to take reviews with a grain of salt. I read a review on a machine that I took in trade on the ctx and the guy praised it and another guy told me it was junk hmm which way do I go / you know what I mean? Any way I put it in the test garden very simple machine not much learning curve and the thing is total junk!

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cala - my friend hunts with a Deus and another friend hunts with a 3030.
The CTX will false a high tone on an old rusty nail but then you look at the ferrous # on the screen and if its 25 or higher its iron (dont dig it). That simple. The Deus is a beep and dig machine. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get?
The Deus is a much better relic detector and the CTX is a much better coin detector.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree masterjedi ,think my tone sounded a little messed up the post above sorry about that. I was really bent out of shape about another detector not the 30/30 so you guys please dont hold that againest me. I took a trade and the test on youtube and all that stuff were doctored up anyway I know the 30/30 is a good machine and has its places ,it just didnt fit me. hh

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, AT PRO, XP DEUS,CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't had a chance to use my CTX yet but while researching it, I noticed a you tuber said he never raises the sen above +2. He said it's makes the detector to unstable. Just a thought..

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had a chance to use my CTX yet but while researching it, I noticed a you tuber said he never raises the sen above +2. He said it's makes the detector to unstable. Just a thought..

On the beach, Myrtle its +3, but when detecting this dang red clay i am always playing with the sensitivity from +2 to -1. Ya I dig some nails but I can tell when memorials come up as quarters the sensitivity is usually to high!

Your mileage might very, lol! GL &HH!

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have been using its cousin, the etrac, for about 2 years now. Almost always iron will peg out the FE number at 35 or close to it. I have never dug a coin with a ferrous number higher than 25. Even if a silver coin is near the iron, from my experience, the ferrous number never goes above 25. The FE number jumps around too, from 10 all the way up to 25, but the conductive number stays in the 40s. If I get a signal like this, and its deep, most of the time its a goodie.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Probably the leaching into the soil and also the deeper an object the harder it is for a metal detector to properly identify it.
A simple solution that takes just a little more time is if you suspect iron, switch to your pinpoint mode or all metal mode(what ever you use to size a target with). Once you can learn target sizing it really helps on recovery of better targets and less garbage. This only applies to coins/jewelry items, relics can be all different sizes.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone that has ever hunted an old site(not parks) where good finds have been made knows that you dig it all:dontknow: Machines that like iron, especially nails, would drive me nuts on such sites

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread