What is up with Mr. Roosevelt?

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have searched through roughly 15 boxes of dimes and have not found a single dime minted prior to 1965. However, I have found quite a number of pre-1965 (silver) dimes in the coin return slot of Coinstar and similar machines.

Why are the silver dimes showing up in the Coinstar-type machines, but not in the boxes of dimes I buy from the bank? Does this make sense to anyone? Are you having the same results with dimes as me?

Happy Hunting.

Upvote 0

SilverSearcher103

Nov 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty common to find silver/foreign coins in coin star machines. The machine rejects silver coins because they weigh different than clad dimes. You probably aren't finding silver in boxes for that same reason, the machine used to roll them up rejects Canadians and silvers due to the weight. I recommend you try some customer wrapped rolls or try a different bank and see if your luck changes any.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The oddballs are already being rejected at the Coinstar machine before being sent off for re-rolling.

I get some silvers and a lot of Canadian dimes and miscellaneous foreign coins in my boxes, because there are very few Coinstars in the area. Most banks here don't have counting machines, and send their dimes out in $500 and $1k bags.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread