apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Apush has now "bought" into my hobby. Every week he goes thru one box of halves for me. He always seems to be the lucky one now that I have him on board :laughing7:.

We had a total of 3 boxes of halves. I scored a whopping 2-40%rs, while he scored 1 Ben (again), 2-64s, and 7-40%rs. Then, he found 6 gold colored halves. What is up with those coins? Can someone fill me in on these?

Then, as we were searching, we viewed several "what appeared to be" silver rims. Instead, we found clad. These particular coins were so shiny and so bright "Silvery" looking that we kept them. All were post-1971. They almost look fake. They even feel "funny."

This week my goal is to learn how to post pics so I will post them asap.

Any comments would be greatly welcomed. Mr. Apush was so happy to find the gold "colored" halves. '

apush :read2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okay. the halves are gold colored are "plated." where do they come from?

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
apush said:
Mr. Apush has now "bought" into my hobby. Every week he goes thru one box of halves for me. He always seems to be the lucky one now that I have him on board :laughing7:.

We had a total of 3 boxes of halves. I scored a whopping 2-40%rs, while he scored 1 Ben (again), 2-64s, and 7-40%rs. Then, he found 6 gold colored halves. What is up with those coins? Can someone fill me in on these?

Then, as we were searching, we viewed several "what appeared to be" silver rims. Instead, we found clad. These particular coins were so shiny and so bright "Silvery" looking that we kept them. All were post-1971. They almost look fake. They even feel "funny."

This week my goal is to learn how to post pics so I will post them asap.

Any comments would be greatly welcomed. Mr. Apush was so happy to find the gold "colored" halves. '

Nice score :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You should have Mr.Apush search, and you supervise and pocket the finds :laughing7:.
The gold coins are privately plated and worthless unless you catch a 64 which is worth it's silver content. Some clad coins are privately chrome plated and have no value.
Every once in a while you will find a clad that looks like it is silver and not plated. I forget the years but it's in the early 70's and equally worthless.
There are 90% silver coins that were sold in sets. They will have the silver edge and an "S" mintmark. I think these came out in the late 90's to the present. I find them once in a while. Then you have the bicentennial 40% with the S mintmark.
I once found a 1972 with a silver edge and the silver ring sound. I brought it to a coin dealer who put it under a microscope and tested it for silver. He said it was indeed silver. Could have been made of silver by mistake.
HH
Rich

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Hartford,
You should know by now that Mrs. Apush pockets the finds (LOL!) :laughing7:. Thank you for the information. Mr. Apush will be disappointed, but he consistantly reminds me that he is finding more silver than me. :laughing7: But, the old guy just hands me his finds. Got to love him.

We are heading to Galveston this weekend for some R&R. Heavens to betsy--I need to see the ocean and get some rest. Taking the ol' metal detector to the beach and get a sun tan and drink a few coronas--before summer school begins.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
hey rich i have heard of some of the 71's that were struck by mistake on the silver planchet but i have yet to find one. think they would bring a premium over the silver value.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
hey rich i have heard of some of the 71's that were struck by mistake on the silver planchet but i have yet to find one. think they would bring a premium over the silver value.

Yes, and if you can get it verfied and slabbed by one of the big three slabbers it would be worth quite a pretty penny. Errors like that are extremely rare.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHAINCHOMP said:
i save all of the gold plated and then sometime will sell um on ebay to idiots who will pay above face for them.

:(

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello apush. I used to work for a circuit board manufacturing company. We used to do a lot of plating over the copper circuits on various boards. Some got nickle plated, some nickle/gold and some gold. Usually just the "fingers" on the boards got gold plated but, like some of the boards for Roketdyne Corp., were all gold plated. That was to prevent corrossion on circuits that were heading for outer space. Every once in a while, just for the heck of it, items were put on the plating bars by employees to "play around". Quite often it was half dollars. I've heard that some companies purposely plate them to sell as a product at a premium but we did it for kicks. Now you know.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is one answer for the plated halves

Have fun in the sun until the little monsters come back to summer school

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 237
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 228
OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coolpix9,
I now remember seeing this add before on the t-net. $5.99 each? LOL. I will sell mine for $4.99. Don't think I will have any takers, :tongue3: Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread