Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
GlassyEyed said:
I've seen it posted here many times to keep th 1987s...why? I ask because I finally found one....
Low mintage, less than 3 million. MS63=$5.00 I kept one for sheets and giggles! ffd

OP
OP
GlassyEyed

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you...

I have now found a total of three and have stopped looking. I have moved to the rim search and drop test method of searching...

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I got an absolutely beautiful, Unc. 1987-D today while searching a box of halves. The 1987-P/D's are one of the "Key Dates" in the Kennedy series. They were only in mint sets. Keep it!
rileyboy

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
First off I am glad people do rim search only, you are missing the forest for the trees . Do you know the amount of coins that are errors you could be missing ? Just goes to show that the greedy mis the great haul lmao. Please keep doing rim searches and leave the esses and errors for the real collectors .

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
underdogger said:
First off I am glad people do rim search only, you are missing the forest for the trees . Do you know the amount of coins that are errors you could be missing ? Just goes to show that the greedy mis the great haul lmao. Please keep doing rim searches and leave the esses and errors for the real collectors .
Glad to see someone else has so much time on their hands. HH Mark

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
In regards to the searching of rims vs looking at every coin - to each their own. I used to search every coin and look through the cherry picker guide along with my magnifying glass. Some of the errors are worth very little, maybe $5.00. Granted some are worth lots more - however after spending countless hours looking for these errors and "low mintage" years like the 87....on ebay, these are selling for an average of $3 - $4, it was time not spent well. The time spent going through every coin is not worth it to me as I can rim search a box in about 20 minutes and look through a lot more boxes pulling more silver, making it way more profitable for me than trying to find a $3.00 coin. I have a nice set of folders for all my coins, so does that make me a coin collector? I am not concerned with what method I use as I am pulling a lot of silver and making it very profitable for me.

I go through 1k at a time, dump and reload multiple times in a week and average about 5-7k weekly in total coins looked through (all halves and dimes) If I went through every coin hoping to find a error, I would not get through a fraction of what I do. To each is own.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Not sure what you are referring to when you call the members who rim search "greedy." If pulling out the silver is "greedy", then why don't you just leave that silver in there and pull out only key dates and errors? I'm guessing you pull those silvers out, so I guess that makes you "greedy" also.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok boys, let's all open our hymnals to page 33 and all sing along........... :icon_study: :icon_study: :icon_study: :icon_study: :icon_study:
Onward Christian so o o o oldiers marching off to o o war,
With the crosss...............................................and on and on.
Now, do we all feel better? :angel9: :angel12: :angel11: :angel5: :angel7:

OP
OP
GlassyEyed

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greed?

underdogger said:

Greed? I'm glad you think you know me so well as to throw out your opinion on my personality.

Actually it is all about time with me. I was spending way too much time date searching because it takes me awhile to see the dates clearly. So to save time and eyesight I rim search...then drop them into my hands and then drop then into the bag while listening for that sweet ting of silver. So...I guess I am greedy, but only with my time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread