what is wrong with the Cortes?

garrybk

Aug 30, 2012
I already own a compadre and an outlaw. I like both a lot. im going to have a small window of opportunity shortly to buy another detector in the $1000 range. I either buy a detector or my wife will spend the money. I've been looking at the cortes. But you don't here much about it.From the way Tesoro describes the cortes, you would think it is a great machine. But it doesnt get much press. Why?
Garry

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

lawbambam

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2013
Barrie, ON
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Stingray 2 with cable adapter, Minelab Profind 25, Vibraprobe 580, 10x12 widescan coil, Cleansweep coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are making one or two new detectors and will be released in the new year, just in case you werent aware of that.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Cortes a few years back. It is a fun machine to use, but be aware that the GB doesn't apply in disc mode. It only is effective in AM. That's it's one "Achilles heal". I found mine to be fairly deep, much more so than the Golden uMax I had at the time. The digital readout is fairly small and I found it sometimes difficult to see with sun glare. I didn't find the SUM mode to be very useful, but I've read about some people who really liked it. All and all, it was a very enjoyable machine to use. I shouldn't have sold it.

Would I buy another? Probably not, at least not new. Don't get me wrong, I love Tesoros. But when it comes to machines with a display, I believe that the Cortes is over-priced for what you get. For $729 there are a lot of choices in the category of TID machines. An F5 is a great machine and is a lot cheaper. The new MX5 can be had for $499!! Heck, you can get an F70 for less! I wouldn't suggest any of the Teknetics machines (other than the T2) because of what I believe to be inferior build quality. I had an Omega and it was so flimsy that I wouldn't expect it to last long under normal use. Maybe I'm just spoiled with Tesoro build quality??

I hope the new machine(s) coming out in 2014 are not screen machines. I hope it's more along the lines of the Outlaw, but maybe in a waterproof housing and with 2 tone (ferrous/non-ferrous).

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up a used Cortes a year or two back. As mentioned above the display is a bit small and the disc mode is a preset ground balance which is fine in most of the areas I hunt. I enjoy using it and have found it hits pretty deep and the ID is fairly accurate and the detector is light to swing. All in all I like it, but would agree the new retail price isn't competitive with much of the competition.
luvsdux

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The screen is a little too small. You need to have the eyes of a hawk to see it! If Tesoro should come out with a new detector and it has visual id, they should improve upon it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread