Last edited:
Upvote 0

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A huge horseshoe from a draft-horse (fifteen inches deep). The nails were still in it, bent from where the horse probably turned at the end of a field and pulled it loose. All the nails were bent in the same direction.

Ncorwin

Greenie
Jun 7, 2012
Olean, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites CoinMaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
about 2 foot down, it was a tire with the rim still on it :(

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How do you all deal with things like aluminum cans? They seem to register as good hits, and because of their size give strong signals, but many times when I am 6-8" down its a can, and because I did narrow holes it can be a real chore before I determine its a can or not. Second, I have leaving anything in the ground, as I may lose track and try to dig it some other time :/

OP
OP
Diggit

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you all deal with things like aluminum cans? They seem to register as good hits, and because of their size give strong signals, but many times when I am 6-8" down its a can, and because I did narrow holes it can be a real chore before I determine its a can or not. Second, I have leaving anything in the ground, as I may lose track and try to dig it some other time :/
First off, when you dig "trash" you are supposed to pack it out with you and throw it away, that's just good manners and MD ethics.
Try lifting up your coil in all metal mode. Coin sized targets will fade faster than larger objects.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Diggit, I pack out all trash. Perhaps you missed the part of my post where I don't like to come back to items, thats why I dig them out? If you have a flattened can that is say 8" down, and you determine that with a hole of only a few inches, perhaps even a screwdriver, you then have the dilemma of digging a pretty substantial hole (flattened can at 8"), or moving on. I weigh in the amount of disruption I have to do to the ground to recover something like that, knowing its junk. Many times, if there are many roots, etc, I may leave it, because I know if I dug them all, the park would be a mess, and it would impact everyone being allowed to do things like dig there.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't rightly tell you,been diggin this signal near a week now,need a ladder to climb outta the hole,think I might be getting close though! God Bless Chris

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
horseshoe 15 inches.
copper spigot 14 inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread